andycarlile

Unit 4 Edward Sargent Wildlife Area

I recently drew a unit 4 Edward Sargent Wildlife Area Elk tag. There are 10 tags given. my hunt is rifle Oct. 13-17. Should I go with an outfitter or not? I hear the elk are abundent in this area and it shouldn't be a problem if you know anything about elk hunting.

This is a GREAT tag... There are not the HUGE 370ish bulls in the area but there are ALOT of them... If you can swing it I would go with an outfitter... Access is the issue.... You will need to use your cheveroleg or Pato Mobile... or Horses.... I think Vini who is helping us with DIY Hunts had that tag.... We should be able to set you up..... Check us out at...

www.gilawildernesshunting.com

Jason

My brother had that hunt about 5 years ago and the numbers of elk were amazing at that time. He passed on 5 different bulls in the first 30 minutes of the hunt and then we looked into a valley with about 50 elk in it and probably 8 bulls ranging from raghorns to the bull he shot that was just shy of 300". There were elk bugling all night long and they continued for several hours in the morning. Everyone we talked to at the camping area filled out within 2 hours of first light.

There is no need for an outfitter to help find elk as they are very plentiful and you could likely find one within reasonable walking distance from the camping area. Last time I was there (during the hunt mentioned above) you could only camp in one designated area where you also park and access is only allowed by foot, horse, or bicycle. There is a road that goes up the main valley, which is locked by a gate and serves as access to private land on the other side of the sargent WMA. There are lots of big, open, grassy valley bottoms and then the hills are wooded with some large meadows interspersed throughout. Most all of it is good elk country and we saw or heard elk in many different spots. Between what we saw scouting and during the hunt I would definitely hold out for a 6x6 with 300" being quite attainable and 330" being a very nice bull for that area.

I did draw a sargent ES tag in December once and it was a real bust. A storm dropped 3 feet of snow two weeks before the hunt and everything was pushed into lower country. I saw 2 cow elk in 2 full days on horseback covering almost the whole hunt area in that time and tracks were very few and far between as well. However this should not be an issue on your hunt.

like hunter4life said..

I got my on open day few years ago...went last year with my cousin and he bagged very nice 5x5 on his first elk huntin..not too far from one designation parkin...and going again this year and hope we ll hold for class 300 bull

post-853-1186148902_thumb.jpg