Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

16A ELK TAG

Just got a call from a friend and he has a 16a depradation hunt. He has never been there and either have I. Does anyone have any information on this area? Sure could use some help. :blink:

TJ

TJ are you e-scouting again :P

If I new anyting about 16A I would tell ya. I think I know someone who might.

I will get back to you.

Thanks Troy, it'a for a friend who just found out he has this hunt. It's from Sept.1st thru the end of the year. Every little bit will help. He is one of 10 hunters and I don't know much more than that.

TJ are you e-scouting again :P

If I new anyting about 16A I would tell ya. I think I know someone who might.

I will get back to you.

Troy what are we going to do with these dang e-scouters

Geeeze <_<

is it an any elk tag?

My bad on that one. Yes it is!

GH ..... :angry: :angry: :angry:

I just went on the game and fish website...which im sure one of you guys already have

looks like its gonna be very limited....best time to go is in Sep. or Oct

TJ are you getting closer to being able to pull that bow back?

Elk

"Overview: The Unit 16A elk herd is unique in that it is located on a sky island, the Hualapai Mountains. It is estimated there are 40-to-60 elk in the range with approximately 20-to-25 bulls. A number of elk reside in the Pine Lake subdivision or within Mohave County Park lands where they cannot be hunted, but many elk avoid the subdivision and are available to hunters.

The terrain inhabited by elk in the Hualapai Mountains is steep, rugged, and unforgiving. Vegetation is very thick and if the elk are not calling they can be difficult to locate. Anyone drawing a 16A elk tag should be prepared to work hard on both scouting and hunting trips. This unit is not known for producing large bulls, though elk in the 300-inch or larger range are occasionally taken.

Hunt success in 16A, especially for archers, depends greatly on the timing and intensity of the rut. Due to the thick vegetation, spot and stalk hunting are not generally effective, as it is impossible to move quietly. If bulls are not responding to calls the next best thing is to set up on a water source or a well-used trail.

Areas: It is important to note that hunting is strictly prohibited on Mohave County Park lands. Park maps and boundaries can be obtained from the ranger station on Hualapai Mountain Road in the park or by calling (928)-757-3859.

Dean’s Peak: This is actually a series of peaks just north of the county park. Access is directly across from the park entrance or via two access roads which come off Blake Ranch Road on the east side of the mountains. The road across from the park entrance is blocked part way up so it is necessary to walk the last mile or so. Once to the top, hunters will find a large stand of Ponderosa pine interspersed with open meadows. There are also trails that drop off to the east toward Yellow Pine Spring.

Wild Cow: This area southeast of the park on Flag Mine Road has a large Ponderosa Pine stand and a couple of water sources often used by elk. There is a large open area, the result of a fire a couple of years ago, where elk are occasionally seen. The thick vegetation above the fire is also a good place to locate elk.

Sugarbowl Tank: This tank lies in upper Timber Wash and is generally a reliable place to locate elk. Access is via New Year’s Cabin Spring and Antelope Wash roads.

Unit 16A tag holders should be prepared to do a lot of scouting. The areas above are just starting points. Elk are spread in low densities throughout the Hualapai Mountains and hunters should look for sign in and around any of the Ponderosa stands."

Azryan....thanks for all that info. I will forward it on to the hunter of this area. No, I'm not quite ready to even start to pull the bow back yet. Thanks for asking though. :) Are you [downthebarrel[ and changed your name or are you another from Gilbert? Again thanks for your reply.

GH.......just keep curling them 14 oz and don't worry about TJ. You stay on the north side of 260 and everything will be just fine. ;)

Troy.... thanks for replying. Good luck on your hunts this year.

Azryan....thanks for all that info. I will forward it on to the hunter of this area. No, I'm not quite ready to even start to pull the bow back yet. Thanks for asking though. :) Are you [downthebarrel[ and changed your name or are you another from Gilbert? Again thanks for your reply.

GH.......just keep curling them 14 oz and don't worry about TJ. You stay on the north side of 260 and everything will be just fine. ;)

Troy.... thanks for replying. Good luck on your hunts this year.

yup thats me! just had the name changed....

tj there is always steroids :P jk ...might help ya get there quicker...look at what bonds did :lol:

TJ,

I live in the unit. Try the area off wild cow road, up any of the big draws heading to the peaks. Dark timber in the draws and open hillsides facing south. A couple of weeks ago I was at the lodge for dinner and had three bulls walking around the truck. Residents around the park area feed the elk and deer, cant hunt in the park. But its not that big and the elk go back in the hills surronding the area. You can rent a cabin up there from the Mohave County Parks department, it would be a fun weekend scouting trip. The lodge has good food, and a friend of mine plays in the band there on Saturday nite.

:ph34r:

Ghostbuster, that is some good insight there. Wow, I'll pass it on and thanks a whole lot. That does sound like a fun scouting trip. I'll let you know how things go.

TJ

Being that it is a depredation hunt, I would assume that they are wanting to harvest elk that are either damaging crops or causing problems somewhere. I know someone you can call to ask about that. Also, I will be in that unit next week and if I get the chance I'll do some checking. :)

Being that it is a depredation hunt, I would assume that they are wanting to harvest elk that are either damaging crops or causing problems somewhere. I know someone you can call to ask about that. Also, I will be in that unit next week and if I get the chance I'll do some checking. :)

Thanks Gino, PM sent! :)