Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

Bear Trip

It appears that I've been able to put a trip together to go after the big boy I found a week ago (see below). I've been doing a lot of reading on caring for the meat and hide (I will want to make a rug) should I be fortunate enough to find him again and tag him. I've never eaten bear meat before and I'm concerned about hunting an animal I'm not sure about eating. What's everyone's opinion? Have you eaten it? How was it prepared? Any recommendations on caring for the hide?

I've read a number of articles about making sure it is well cooked. I've also read a number of write-ups that say it makes great sausage...Thoughts?

Thanks for any input!

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...?showtopic=6743

I have eaten quite a bit of bear meat over the past few years. I can't say that it is very good. We have tried making sausage and they were not good. The best way I have found is to make roasts and cook them until you can shred them and use green chile and make it into a meat mix for burritos. Made this way the meat is actually okay, but one bear makes a ton of burritos and when it isn't very good any other way you can get burnt out on the burritos. If you are hunting primarily for meat, I would say to stay away from bear. Now mountain lion is another story and I could hunt them just for the meat.

I think that three things dictate how bear meat tastes..... 1st: What the bear has been eating all year.... 2nd: How you care for the meat... 3rd: a good recipe! ;) I have a deep pit and I love cooking bear and I love eating it even more! I would be happy to give you my recipe for how to cook it once you get it done. Also, one thing that I do is trim all, or as much as possible, fat from the meat before you freeze it. The meat is plenty greasy without that stuff. Try to leave the meat bone in if you can....

For the doubters.... the I made a large bear ham in the pit with a turkey and an elk roast.... the elk was sandwich meat... :rolleyes: .... the turkey was great.... and the bear was soo good that I never had any turkey!! :D Many of my guests would have never known it was bear and loved it, too.... including my wife... who does not care for bear meat. :rolleyes: I ate it cold for lunches while scouting that next week, too!! So don't be afeared..... git that bear!!! :D ;) :lol: