I have a late Oct 24b hunt. I hunted 7 miles back in the wilderness last year and saw 50+ deer but only 2 bucks. I have a spot where I've seen a lot of sign, but never deer during the day. It's a tank in the desert at the bottom of a mountain which goes to 4000ft and turns into manzanita and juniper. Do you think the deer can be caught before going over the mountain first light when it cools down some? the other side of the mountain is way too thick to hunt successfully. I was going to hold off serious scouting for about 3 weeks when it starts to cool off.

Its a good Idea to hold off until it cools off. If your seeing that many does there will be bucks around. Just be patient when glassing. Remember to be as quite as possible when sneaking in their first light. They can hear really good and there more alert in thick cover. Good luck

You need to be at the top of the mountain set up well before first light. If you can find a saddle with good deer trail might be good spot.

Keven

Wiley Bucks know when you are there and just sit tight. If you move around a lot, they will pick you out and you'll never catch them. I think only seeing a couple bucks and that many does says you have some bucks that are trying to stay out of sight.

I'd agree that waiting a few weeks more then scouting hard for a couple days in that area might be worth your time.

Get high, get comfy, plan to stay the whole day and you'll likely find them if you glass hard enough and long enough.

Good Luck

Thanks for the replies. I don't mind hiking back into the wilderness, but something about the other area keeps calling to me. You guys know what I mean. Sure wish I had a mulie tag that place is lousy with them. Unfortunately, work kept me from the early archery season, but I'll be sure to be there during the late season. I have yet to kill my first mulie.

Big bucks in 24b off the 650rd, you'll be suprised at how close to the road you'll find them, if you have "good glass"! Might even have to start a post on how many quads and utv's, and lost snowbirds screwd you're hunt. We've hauled them out, I've seen them. Good Luck!