i got drawn for the nov. in 24b can anybody tell me where to go. i usually am drawn for 24a i know it is just across the road but this is virgin territory for me

White-tailed Deer

Overview: Whitetail deer may be found throughout much of Unit 24B. A general rule of thumb is that they occur in brushier habitats above 3,500 feet in the unit. However, whitetail have been showing up in the past few years at elevations of about 2,500 feet in what would usually be considered as mule deer habitat. The more typical whitetail habitat is located from the central to the eastern portion of the unit, and is comprised of chaparral, oak woodland, and conifers. Whitetail are also found on most of the mountain ranges in the western portion of the unit as well. These habitats are primarily high desert or chaparral and may also contain mule deer.

Whitetail in 24B do not appear to have been as severely affected by the recent long-term drought conditions as mule deer. Permit numbers for whitetail have remained relatively stable for the past eight years. There are a total of 550 whitetail permits for the 2007 seasons.

Practically all whitetail habitat in 24B is located on public lands of the Tonto National Forest. A small amount of whitetail habitat is on private land owned by mines near Globe and Pinto Valley. These lands are usually posted as to whether or not hunting is allowed. A large portion of whitetail habitat is within the Superstition Wilderness. The Wilderness is closed to all vehicular or mechanized travel, but it is open to hunting. The Tonto National Monument near Roosevelt Lake is closed to all hunting. A Tonto National Forest map will help to identify roads, boundaries, and land ownership. Topographical maps will provide information about the terrain.

Areas: Some of the more popular whitetail hunting areas are listed below. If you are not familiar with the unit, these may provide you with a place to start.

Superior: North of the town of Superior you will find extensive whitetail habitat around Iron Mountain (FS 172), Montana Mountain (FS 650), and Fortuna Peak (FS 342). Expect to encounter other vehicles along the way, but don't let that discourage you – there is plenty of room to hunt away from the roads. Portions of the Fortuna Peak area were burned due to a lightning-caused fire during the summer in 2005. Isolated patches of habitat remain untouched in some of the drainages, and some forage has begun to appear in burned areas. If you plan to hunt this area, it would be especially important to do some pre-season scouting to determine habitat conditions and deer activity.

Globe: In the Globe vicinity, Pinto Valley provides access into whitetail country. You must drive through the Pinto Valley Mine, which can be very confusing at times. Routes through the mine change continually, and they are not always clearly marked. North of Globe, the area around Webster Mountain has whitetail habitat also.

Roosevelt Lake: South of Roosevelt Lake good whitetail habitat may be found in the areas of Two Bar Ridge (FS 83) and Campaign Creek (FS 449).

Reminder: Whitetail can be found throughout the unit. The locations listed above are simply larger areas of whitetail habitat. If you already know how to look for whitetail, take some time to explore other parts of the unit, and you will discover pockets of whitetail habitat just about anywhere that is above 3,000 to 3,500 feet in elevation. Also consider backpacking or going horseback into the Wilderness. December can be a great time for a pack-in hunt in 24B.

it will be a tough hunt...lots of small bucks will be shot...you should have plenty of chances at em'. the november hunt kind of sucks cuz we get the second crack at them....they will be pushed around a lot. Plus opening day there will be muley hunters in there ...just get out and glass your butt off...or hike or do both....ac guy posted the game and fish stuff...its a good starting point....dont overlook the lower elevations

Find the place that is the hardest to get to and you will find nice bucks in 24b. Too bad you don't have the early hunt, I could show you a spot or two.