Dirtybird07

7E Late archery elk

Hello everyone well I finally drew and elk tag and it's the late archery bull tag. I've read a bunch on the hunt and had different answers. I know you get what you put into the hunt that's why I'm starting my work out and dieting now. Now my question is for those that have hunted the late bull hunts, are you hunting up high at 9000 to 10000 feet or sitting water holes? I've read both on these types of hunts some people spot and stalk others sit water holes. Advice from anyone that's hunted that unit. Thanks and good luck to all that have drawn

Never hunted that hunt but have hunted three different units at that time. If it's hot sitting water can be good, boring but good. The best is find ya a friend that will sit behind glass and spot for you. Get some radios and a ear bud and get after it. Find glassing spots and find some Bulls, bed them and make a plan. They feed a lot this time of year and are worn out from rut so they tend to be vulnerable while feeding and it is usually nice out so their not running for shade. They are fun hunts! Good luck

• Like 3

If you are referring to the Nov. hunt then you should be focusing on water. You don't necessarily have to sit water but that time of year is traditionally dry. Make the waterholes your focus and work outwards from those points (once you have identified water holes they are hitting consistently).

Personally I would sit an active waterhole.

• Like 1

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. I will definitely be hiking up high to find secluded water holes and setting cameras. I also talked to a buddy that said he glassed hard all morning then sat water holes in the evening hunts and that seemed to work.

• Like 1