Sign in to follow this  
Ed67

Load Recommendations

Years ago I sold my Thompson Center Renegade .54 cal and just recently picked up in trade a Thompson Center Omega Z5 50 cal open sights. I plan to add a scope.

Can anyone offer any load recommendation starting points? I plan to use it for HAM javelina in 2018. Thanks.

Disclaimer---Do your own research before using my load. I use Prodex P. Yes you can use P in a .50 but it is like a magnum load. I use 90 grains VOLUME of Pyrodex P and a 200 grain Shock Wave bullet for my deer loads. The same powder charge with a 250 grain Shock Wave is my elk load and it is a max load in my ThunderHawk, that according to T/C will handle 150 grains of RS. Started showing signs of pressure on the #11 caps. Very accurate load for me.

You can try Triple 7 or BH 209 and follow the charts.

Thank you foe the load info

I had the same rifle and it grouped best with Federal 209 primers, 90 grains BlackHorn 209 powder, green MMP grooved sabot and 240 gr Hornday XTP (.430). It could produce one ragged hole at 100 yards with 5 shots. I've used the 300 gr XTP and the groups opened to 2" or so with the same powder and primer. It did not like full bore conicals except 245 gr Powerbelt which would group 1 1/2" 3-shots at 100 yards with 80 gr Blackhorn 209. Any of these bullets should be more than sufficent for javelina. If you were hunting something significantly bigger, only the 300 gr XTP is a sure bet. There's got to be a ton of other choices for bigger game that will be accurate but I did not experiment more than I listed because I used mine exclusively for small deer.

• Like 1