Sign in to follow this  
desertbird

recommend a tripod

Im not stuck on a ball head. I just like the 3 axis adjustability, if a pan head had that Id certainly entertain that option again. The pan heads I have used, it becomes a pita to get your glass level on rocky uneven ground and moving around for different vantage points.

To follow up, I purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/ZOMEI-Z699C-Portable-Compact-Panasonic/dp/B01AZ0ZTIW

Used it today and its a great COMPACT tripod. Very sturdy, light and the head is very smooth. The panning is fantastic and near fluid though not a fluid head. The ball is Very smooth once tension is set and does not require a lot of knob adjusting . At 14 folded, 3.4 lbs, and less than $150, it makes for a great DAY PACK tripod.

Only down side for a lot of guys that like to glass standing is its overall height. But I glass sitting on a butt pad where stability concerns are nonexistent with a compact lightweight tripod.

This recommendation is for a day pack type of system and is not going to work for a lot of guys that like an 8 pound monster sporting 2 axis fluid heads topped with spotting scopes/big glass and able to maintain shake free in 40mph winds...