jamaro

Crimping???

Hey Everybody

I am still working on my Reloading Experiments and things are going pretty well. I have a question about crimping.

It seems to be that one of the most important variables in reloading accurate ammo is playing with the seating depth. Some of the bullets that I have have that little area that is designed to be crimped on. I am am not sure what it is called. What happens if the depth of the bullet is such that that little area is not on the end of the case? Do you still crimp?

Jason

I never crimp. My Hornady bullets are always seated with the cannelure showing. I don't think crimping is necessary, but bullet seating depth seems to have some effect on accuracy, but then again it's probably more important that the cartridges feed smoothly. A slight increase in accuracy isn't going to make up for a jam. Of course if you shoot a single shot or make the first shot count that's not an issue. Jack

usually a bottle neck case does not have to be crimped. straight wall cases should be especially if your using them in a tube fed gun. crimping a bullet does decrease accuracy because it is really hard even with good equipment to get a perfectly even crim all around the bullet. also it can cause increases in pressure. so if you dont have to crimp it dont

I have never crimped any of my rifle loads. It's not necessary. You should focus more on finding the sweet spot for the seating depth and just don't worry about where the canalure ends up.

You're not trying to make a last minute Mexico load are you?

Thanks for all the info guys.... I am have just playing around and I was wondering if it made a difference...

thanks..

J-

PS. TAM... I am about as ready as I am going to get.... :)

Usually crimping isn't necessary unless it's a tube feed or a self loading firearm. Crimping pistol ammo is very important. Rifle ammo I've found that neck tension of about .003 inch to be sufficient for almost all applications. Measure the inside of the neck of your cases after full length resizing to determine this.

Mark