Sign in to follow this  
Unit27

Late December Hunt

I was lucky enough to get a tag for the end of the year hunt in Unit 27 for Whitetail. Can anybody shed some light on some good possible places to hunt? I scouted a bit in the Robinson Mesa area. I also heard that Strayhorse Canyon and Rasberry Canyon were good possibilities. This is my first time hunting deer so I will admit I am a novice! :huh: Any help or advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Try to find some areas that have burned, as much of that unit is almost too thick to glass. There is also a lot of good feed in the old burns so the deer will be very active in the burns in the morning and evening. Hopefully you can find a buck chasing some does.

I have spent a lot of time in Unit 27 including a seasonal summer job this past summer doing stream surveys. Unit 27 is about the most rugged, brushy, unforgiving unit that I know of in Arizona, at least the whitetail part of it. We took a Californian hunting in 27 for mulies and he was so worn out he decided he didn't ever want to hunt in Arizona again! So be in shape and be very patient glassing into all that cover. Some control (some what out of control!) burning was done around HL saddle and Rose Peak. The forage is coming back great and these new burns should be loaded with dear. These are typically some of the best deer areas in the unit anyway. You probably won't see large numbers of deer but be patient and remember it only takes one.

Brian