Sign in to follow this  
mattys281

BLACKTAIL/BLACK BEAR COMBO ANYONE?

Hey Matt, just like BOHNTR said, i'd look at the opener in August instead of September.

DesertBull, i thought you were gonna hunt Oregon this year, you know there's no deer over here in CA...just hippies and ground squirrels. :blink:

Kirk, I don't even know what I am doing next week, let alone next fall. It all depends on what I draw, or more likely, don't draw, here in AZ and in Utah.

Right now I am trying to plan summer fishing trip to Alaska. I have a butt load of air miles with Alaska Air that I need to use. With my air miles, it's cheaper for me to hunt / fish Alaska than it is to drive to NM, Cali, or Ore.

Did you draw your Oregon spring bear tag?

Hey Matt, just like BOHNTR said, i'd look at the opener in August instead of September.

DesertBull, i thought you were gonna hunt Oregon this year, you know there's no deer over here in CA...just hippies and ground squirrels. :blink:

I've seen to many of you photos to fall for that one! The opener in Aug it is.

I'm so fricking pumped up for this hunt that I'm actually going to be disappointed if I draw my bull tag. I'm sure that disappointment will fade a little once I hear the first bugle, but you get the point <_< . I decided that I'm headin to Ca, regardless of the draw here. If I get an elk tag, I go to Ca for one week. No elk tag, I go to Ca for two weeks, as initially planned. Either way, it's a win/win from my point of view. Already got my Ca license. August can't get here soon enough!

Matty, did you see the boars that Arrowslinger and the gang wacked at Tejon ranch last week? Pretty impressive.

Matty, did you see the boars that Arrowslinger and the gang wacked at Tejon ranch last week? Pretty impressive.

Yeah. He's a pig-killing machine.

Kirk, show off a little. Lets see the pic!

I have it, but don't want to post w/out permission.

Mattys281...thanks for your kind words!

We had an incredible hunt, saw literally over a hundred hogs and 11 of us put down 7 hogs with 4 of'em being BIG boars. Here's mine, taken on the last day, 243lb gutted!

post-1847-1203378893_thumb.jpg

Mattys281...thanks for your kind words!

We had an incredible hunt, saw literally over a hundred hogs and 11 of us put down 7 hogs with 4 of'em being BIG boars. Here's mine, taken on the last day, 243lb gutted!

Big congrats, that thing is a brute!

Matt S.

I was on that hunt with Kirk. He was kind enough to leave me his leftovers!!! Good luck on your Blacktail and Bear hunt. Go deep in any of the N/W Ca wildernesses and you should do well. Ed F

117.JPG

I was on that hunt with Kirk. He was kind enough to leave me his leftovers!!! Good luck on your Blacktail and Bear hunt. Go deep in any of the N/W Ca wildernesses and you should do well. Ed F

117.JPG

How deep is deep? Are week talkin the 10-15 mile range, or further? The Trinities are awful big, but escaping hunters is almost as important as finding deer to me. Almost.

4 plus miles. You guys are way ahead of the game, having hunted Coues deer. Blacktails, especially bigger bucks act like Coues deer. They don't take pressure very well. Think about tree stands. Some of the biggest bucks are taken from tree stands in wilderness areas. Popular trailheads will have hunters camped at or near them. I've hunted the Trinity's twice. My camp was 8 miles in and hunted deeper than that. Never saw a hunter and was hunting undisturbed deer. If you can, cross country away from a trail. The popular trail heads have more traffic. Another possibility is to have a horse packer drop your camp for you. Then you can hunt fresh and get into country that few see. Focus on the deer and you'll find the bears. Ed F

4 plus miles. You guys are way ahead of the game, having hunted Coues deer. Blacktails, especially bigger bucks act like Coues deer. They don't take pressure very well. Think about tree stands. Some of the biggest bucks are taken from tree stands in wilderness areas. Popular trailheads will have hunters camped at or near them. I've hunted the Trinity's twice. My camp was 8 miles in and hunted deeper than that. Never saw a hunter and was hunting undisturbed deer. If you can, cross country away from a trail. The popular trail heads have more traffic. Another possibility is to have a horse packer drop your camp for you. Then you can hunt fresh and get into country that few see. Focus on the deer and you'll find the bears. Ed F

Thanks for the advice Ed, it's really appreciated. I'm going to look into getting a light-weight climbing stand.

AFter meeting you & Kirk, I'm re-evaluating some of my stereo-type views on Californians. <_<

Just kiddin, I'm from there myself. Grew up in the El Cajon / Santee area.

p.s. I looked at those trophy photos from the link in your signature. You've bagged some brutes, congrats. The muley I got this year was my first deer w/ my bow, but it set me on a mission to also get a deer slam.