Sign in to follow this  
AzTrapper

Skinning and fur handling

Clint, I finally got the time to watch the rest of Predator Obsession 2, it was awesome. The segment on skinning a bobcat was great. Very informative, and the visual helped tremendously. Only thing i would change was when he sewed that hole, if he would have done a larger one just to see how it comes together when it's much bigger and if there are any tricks to that. Also, If i was going to have the cat mounted, would i do it the same way? (except complete the feet of course) I know Scott says that if you are going to have it mounted or do a rug to let the taxi do it all, problem is I wouldn't let any taxi in Vegas that i know about do it.

And CnS, PM sent.

On a case skinned animal you want to follow the fur line where from one back foot to the other foot on the backside of the leg this should go under the tail and meet at the base of the tail alos cutting around the butt-hole. Then cut 1/2 way down the tail then start skinning the hide from the animal and cut around the anus so you don't cut the glands. keep skinning the hide off, and as you get the tail looseyou can take a tail stripper or a couple of sticks and put one on the top and bottom of the tail bone then you can pull the hide off the tail. Once you get the hide skinned off the taile and hind legs you can PULL the hide pulled down to the front legs using your knive as little as possable, Make cuts around the animals front legs at the "elbows" and pull the legs through keep pulling to the head and you will feel a spot under where the ears are cut them against the skull and keep skinning until you get to the eyes most of time you will see where them skinor cut as close to the skull as you can, do the same with the mouth as you do the eyes, when you get to the nose cut the cartlidge out of the nose try and not cut the hide as this will save you a lot of extra work sewing

AzTrapper

That is good info. That is exactly as I remember doing it. It is Funny that you mentioned the trick with the two sticks, it brought back other memories as well... we often used a pair of pliers to strip the tail as well. ;) Once the hide is off though the fun Really begins.... :rolleyes: You gotta get ALL the flesh and fat off the hide before you stretch it. We never sewed our green hides and never got docked for it either, but we never had any holes larger than a 22 short either. ;) FYI.... a piece of log siding with a rounded end makes the best fleshing board I have ever used. Always put your hide on the Stretcher hair in till almost dry... then turn and let it finish drying with the hair out so that the fur buyer can grade it.... completely dry hides are near impossible to turn. I have a ton of fur Stretchers that I never use if anyone needs some, I'd be willing to part with some of mine.

CnS

Gino u might want to keep a stretcher or two so you can stretch out your shirts every once in a while. :o

Tubby :P