Sign in to follow this  
Bucks&Brews

New to this game, could use some advice

Haha, that's great deer sign. Well I'm going to get out there in January and start putting into practice some of these things. If I can find game and put a few stalks on, whether I pinwheel one or not, I would feel more than successful. Thanks again everyone, I look forward to learning more and being a part of this community.

I will add this.    I always try to find water in the area, be it a tank, dugout, stream, seep.   Deer have to water!    This is my first priority in deer scouting.

P1020861.jpg

I'm also in Gilbert area and will be going out to 37B this weekend and next. I'm a new bowhunter as well so I am most definitely still learning; but four eyes are better than two. If you're interested in going out shoot me a PM. 37B is a tough unit with generally low densities of deer but can't beat the distance to home since I plan on commuting each day. Like you said, finding bucks and MAYBE getting the chance to stalk is a win in itself. I like glassing w/ my tripod but have heard of many people being successful still hunting/walking the flats as well in this unit. Also depends if you're specifically trying to hunt coues deer; i've seen coues in this unit but the majority of the deer are muleys. Either way, good luck! 

Practice shooting fairly quickly.  Shoot through "windows" in the brush, from behind mesquites, that sort of thing.  In bowhunting, timing the shot is key. ( I can stalk/stillhunt, very often getting within compound bow range, but at primitive bow range, because of needing to use cover, the willingness to take the shot given when it is given is vital.  I had a two second window, and I blew it this year, and that is that.   Ty to not be that guy, lol.)

37B is tough.  Do you have a grunt tube?  I am told that the mulies will sit real tight, like quail do in the cacti.  I have seen that out there,   Remember to look from 30 yards outward; they are not always half a mile away.  There are big ones out there.