Sign in to follow this  
DBArcher

Elk Loads for a 308

Well My Dad and I finally drew rifle bull tags, he is going to take his lightweight 308. We dont reload so I am looking for a good factory round. I started looking at Black hills gold, I have kinda narrowed it down to two choices. Either the 168 grain Amaz or the 180 gr accubond. what do you think.

Well My Dad and I finally drew rifle bull tags, he is going to take his lightweight 308. We dont reload so I am looking for a good factory round. I started looking at Black hills gold, I have kinda narrowed it down to two choices. Either the 168 grain Amaz or the 180 gr accubond. what do you think.

My first rifle was a .308 Savage. We used it on elk with factory loads for years. I only used 165 gr. factory ammo one time for elk and swore never again! I would stick with any 180 gr bullet in factory ammo from that gun. IMO However, I am not sure what kind of hunting you are going to be doing.... that might make the 168 gr. more attractive, too. :rolleyes:

Not much help... I guess, but my $.02, none the less. ;) :lol:

Black Hills makes excellent ammo. I would also look at Federal premium ammunion. They load accubonds and barns tripple shock bullets both in 165 grain bullets. Do you know the twist in your .308? I've had great success with several .308s using 155, 165, 168, 173, & 175 grain bullets, but never much success with 180's. Your best bet is to buy a box of both and try them out in your rifle. If they shoot similiar groups then I'd recommend the heavier bullets. If your gun prefers the 165's then use them. There isn't a bull in AZ that can survive a 165 grain bullet from a .308 shot into his heart/lungs from a reasonable range.