:ph34r: Hello I just heard if this website, it is amazing! I was wondering if anybody has hunted for whitetail in unit 30b. I put in for unit 29 late and november and 30a late , november, and october and did not get drawn. Apparently, there are leftover permits in 30b. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Victor M. Lopez

Yes I have..the Dragoon Mts, are a pretty site..I took my son last year on a left over tag, we left Phx around 4am and arrived in Middle March pass canyon around 7:30am and we spotted a buck and a couple of does coming over a hill before we pulled over and got out of the truck it was gone,,we hunted two days and that's all we saw..about six year ago I missed a real nice 4x4 in the Middle March Pass Canyon area....it still hurts..there in there but you have to hunt your tail off if you don't lucky..but the mountains are worth seeing if you never hunted there before..read the unit report...

good luck..vml

ok my daughter has a 30B tag - but- i am lost as far as knowing where to go? i am asking if anyone knows where to go? mt. glen? dragoons mts? cochise stronghold?she is 11 years old and she has taken one deer; last year in unit 10- should she and i go to mt.glen and hunt the ridges?

the middle march passis where? what roaddo i take?- sorry to sound like a dummy but we are from kingman.

jim

Edited by redrider86401

Guest Guest

Heres what game and fish say:

White-tailed Deer Overview: Unit 30B has a relatively small population of whitetail deer in relationship to nearby units. These populations are isolated to the Dragoon Mountains and the southern end of the Mule Mountains near Bisbee. Whitetail can also be found along the San Pedro River. The 2001/02 buck:doe:fawn ratio was 36:100:43, and the combined hunt success for the Oct. and Nov. firearms hunts was 9 percent last season, a decrease from the previous season 11%. This year's buck:doe ratio increased significantly, and the fawn:doe ratio decreased significantly from last years 24:100:63. If the deer survived the extreme drought condition, there may be a few more young bucks available this season.

Overall, the unit has approximately 125.5 square miles of whitetail deer habitat of medium to low density, in the Dragoon and Mule Mountains. Sportsmen must be aware that a large portion of the habitat in the Mule Mountains is inaccessible. Also, accessible habitat within the Mule and Dragoon Mountains can be far from existing road and extremely rugged. To reduce the frustration, it is a good idea to scout the unit and secure access into a desired area before applying for a whitetail permit in the unit.

The Dragoon Mountains are part of the Coronado National Forest so a forest service map will help you with the road system and the access points. Topo-graphical maps will help you get around the rest of the unit.

Whitetail can also be found along the San Pedro River, but the thick vegetation can make it difficult to get a good clean shot at a buck. Also, parts of the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area are closed to firearm hunting so getting the Bureau of Land Management's regulations is a must. 1763 Paso San Luis, Sierra Vista, AZ 85635 (Phone No. 520-458-3995).

Areas: Access into the Mule Mountains is very limited compared to the Dragoon Mountains as most of the major canyons are inaccessible by vehicle. One of the easiest ways to get into the Mule Mountains is to take Highway 80 south of I-10 at Benson. Continue down Highway 80 past Tombstone. Approximately 2.5 miles south of Tombstone take Davis Road east to High Lonesome Road and south to access the east side of the mountain. There are two dirt roads off of the High Lonesome that will access the eastern side of the Mules, and you can access whitetail habitat in the upper parts of a few canyons. Access to the top of the mountain from Hwy. 80; the Juniper Flats Road travels northeast to the radio towers. One thing to remember when you are in the Mule Mountains is the private land, most will be posted and locked, so respect the ranchers' wishes. Hiking from open areas across state land will get you in most of the Mule Mountains. The area is very rugged and steep and requires a lot of effort on the hunter's part.

Guest Guest

has anyone tried mount glen? right above the dragoons- and if so- how was it?

jim

Last year i had a after drawing whitetail tag in 30B. Where i went was horrible but we saw 2 does and 1 spike. I ended up harvesting the spike but what I have heard and seen the unit is not a great place to hunt.

Guest Guest_Brian

I agree with what other people are saying. The thing about 30B is that the country that is public and glassable is easily accesible by road. It's only a short distance between the roads that run the base of the Dragoons and the coniferous forest. I shot a decent buck, but had a lot of comepetition.

Brian