Sign in to follow this  
DesertRat1970

Advice for Arizona Elk

Finally got drawn for Bull Elk (after 7 years of putting in). Hunting in November in Unit 3A/3C. I am looking for any advice for hunting these units. Been scouting once already and saw a few cows. Will calling work in November? Any good tactics for the November hunt? Any good areas to check out? Anything will help. Thanks for any advice in advance.

DesertRat1970

Take your optics and climb to a good vantage point and glass,glass,glass.

Leave the calls at home.

Welcome to the site.

Leave the calls at home.

Welcome to the site.

+1

When you plan your scouting trips- Double them

When you think you have classed enough- Double it

Be in shape for a Quick move to get a shot.

If you find a shooter figure him out the best you can

and be in position WAY before daylight,

You are Not the only one who knows about him.

Have a couple back up Bulls.

Welcome and good luck

Scout the unit to learn its roads, but realize that where you see bulls now may not be where you will find them in November. Stress from the various other hunts between now and then -- and the first snow -- can change their habits. Talk with people who have hunted more than once in your area in November.

I don't know unit 3, but I do know unit 1, and where I see big bulls in late summer and early fall is not where they are in the "regular" elk hunt.

Bill Quimby

Go up there as much as you can to familarize yourself with the whole unit. I would not start "hardcore" scouting till two weeks prior to the hunt. You dont want to spend the the whole hunt looking for bulls, do your homework prior that way you can be ready opening day. You have waited seven years for your tag, make it count!

Go up there and start scouting NOW! Drive Every road in the unit! Don't look for where the bulls are now, you won't really be able to start picking out most bulls untill 2 or 3 weeks before season, depending on where they live. But start looking for their wintering areas! Look for those places that they are going to be at the end of Nov. Most of those units are lower country or "winter range" and have resident bulls all year long. Did I mention start by driving every road in the unit! And start Now! Scout untill you have at lease 3 or 4 slam dunk 100% fool proof spots! Then scout some more! Only then will you be ready to go and have a really tough hunt.

Welcome to the best site around!

Lance

One more thing. For some reason, there are people who draw elk tags (I won't call them hunters) who like to set up big camps smack dab in the middle of the best elk country in every unit. While you're scouting, look for their old fire rings and try to guess where these yahoos will be when your season opens ... and then find somewhere else to hunt. More than once I've patterned good a bull only to open the season by finding a fifth-wheel trailer, two trucks and four ATVs parked exactly where I lsaw "my" bull standng the previous evening.

Bill Quimby

In most units I would agree with the below posts... In this unit, it is very difficult if not impossible to find areas to glass. The burn has done some good for thinning things out, but it can be a tough hunt, especially for glassing. Plan your scouting trips now.. Spend time in the PJ and thicker canyons (low country) look for tracks etc... Your scouting efforts during the rut will be worthless. Alot of bulls will come over from the White Mtn reservation during the rut but during the summer and winter move into the deeper, isolated canyons of the rez.

The areas south of 260 will be hammered..Hunt the PJ's you will have more luck locating bulls, and the competition will be less.

My wife shot this bull in a Nov. hunt a few years ago. One of two bulls we saw in 4 days hunting, I come from 4 generations of citizens of the metropilis of Clay Springs so we know the area a bit, there are some great bulls there in the late hunt, just don't think it will be as easy as the rut hunts. Be prepared to scout alot and do some walking. You have a good tag, good luck.

PM me and we can talk a bit more.

Houston

100_0423.jpg

Leave the calls at home

Welcome to the site.

+1

Welcome and good luck

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I plan on making several more trips to the area to scout. Sounds like it will be a tough hunt. Houston, thanks for the local advice. What do you mean by PJ's?

Thanks again everyone

DR1970

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I plan on making several more trips to the area to scout. Sounds like it will be a tough hunt. Houston, thanks for the local advice. What do you mean by PJ's?

Thanks again everyone

DR1970

C'mon.....everyone knows "PJ's" is short for pajammas ;)

or commonly used as an abbreviation for Pinon/Juniper country which is typically lower elevation.

add that to the dictionary ;)

My uncle shot this bull in the late hunt two years ago. Disregard the cut throat, he heard about it from me when I got to him 5min after the shot. :)

Notice the PJ's in the background...

Bull is 365-370 ish, I can't remember

100_2234.jpg

I got one word for that picture........PHOTOSHOP!!! ;) Cool bull! Did you guide him on that one Houston? I love that right side.>>Jason

In most units I would agree with the below posts... In this unit, it is very difficult if not impossible to find areas to glass. The burn has done some good for thinning things out, but it can be a tough hunt, especially for glassing. Plan your scouting trips now.. Spend time in the PJ and thicker canyons (low country) look for tracks etc... Your scouting efforts during the rut will be worthless. Alot of bulls will come over from the White Mtn reservation during the rut but during the summer and winter move into the deeper, isolated canyons of the rez.

The areas south of 260 will be hammered..Hunt the PJ's you will have more luck locating bulls, and the competition will be less.

My wife shot this bull in a Nov. hunt a few years ago. One of two bulls we saw in 4 days hunting, I come from 4 generations of citizens of the metropilis of Clay Springs so we know the area a bit, there are some great bulls there in the late hunt, just don't think it will be as easy as the rut hunts. Be prepared to scout alot and do some walking. You have a good tag, good luck.

PM me and we can talk a bit more.

Houston

100_0423.jpg

Leave the calls at home

Welcome to the site.

+1

Welcome and good luck

Well I have not hunted that unit much as you must have but the few times I have been there I have glassed up MANY

elk time after time. Now that might just be that I am lucky or maybe I am just a fairly good at glassing :rolleyes: but there

is several GOOD areas to take a peep at IMO.

Or maybe he can just walk around a bunch and leave his glass at home :unsure: :lol: