Sign in to follow this  
couzhtr

New guy first coues buck

21 hours ago, turbo said:

Welcome.

Give us details of the hunt....

Started scouting in the summer with one of my buddies, logged a ton of miles on our boots hiking into a wilderness area. We glassed up deer every trip out mostly does and a few forkies. After checking out onX a little more we found a basin that looked promising so we checked it out, same deal does and forkies. We met up with my dad on after work on the night of opening day he had camp set up for us which was awesome, (thanks dad) he had a tag too but really just wanted to see one of the boys shoot a deer. He was a trooper hiking in everyday with us even with an injured foot. It rained on and off in the mornings and was really windy. Saturday was the first day we hunted, found a couple bucks but we’re too far away to make a play on them. The second day we went back to the same area but got on a glassing knob a bit closer to where the deer were the day before. Sure enough they were still there actually running around all over the hill side like a bunch of kids playing tag! Haha they ended up bedding down in a cut that we couldn’t see into from that particular angle so we moved over to another ridge line and waited them out. At about 3pm a forkie came out with 2 does. As I was setting up the rifle for a shot my buddy Austin found my buck just above the other deer raking a bush. Ranged him at 300 yards and took a shot. In the heat of the moment I forgot all about it being windy and missed just in front of the buck, perfect elevation. He ended up running up and to the right and ranged him at 500. Took anther shot, hit him in the front leg. He limped to a flat spot on the hill under a tree and I made a good shot killing him in that final bed. After cleaning him up I packed him out about 3 miles getting back to the truck in the dark. 

• Like 2