Guest CDN

24B

Guest CDN

Does unit 24B have the genetics to produce trophy quality bucks. I just don't here a lot about it or listings in the record books.Any thoughts? CDN

I live in east Mesa, so for me 24b is right in my backyard. I have spent a lot of time there since I was old enough to drive. I still go out a couple times a month glassing and looking for coues.

What is your defination of a trophy quality buck? 110 B&C or ????

I saw a clean 3 pointer with eyeguards that would break 100 inches net 3 years ago in late Febuary or early March, he was with a non-typical buck that would have gone 90-95 inches. They were in the Wilderness area hanging out with a bunch of does. I just assume the farther you go into the Wilderness area, the bigger the deer get and if you got into a good remote area with water during the rut it would be much like hunting them anywhere else in these middle ground units (21-22-23-24a-24b). I have seen lots of deer and quite a few smaller and average bucks not in the wilderness area in August and September. I think the gene pool is probably fine, I just think the wilderness area makes it hard to hunt bucks the way they can be hunted in other units, I.E. you are pretty much backpacking or Horsebacking in during December and not Car or Truck camping and then hunting from there.

Bret M.

Guest CDN

Tam/Bullwidgeon, I think that any buck over 90 is certainly a trophy. I have hunted this unit many years ago when I first got hooked on whitetails. I have spent time scouting and pig hunting but have only seen a few deer that would break the hundred mark over the last 10 years. Granted my eqiupment has improved as have my own skills. I Just saying that this unit just does'nt seem to have much said about it. It just does draw the trophy hunters like 22&23 do. I would agree with your thouhgts on the wilderness area. Lots of road hunters everywhere else. I was just thinking about it so asked. Thanks for the feedback. CDN

CDN,

When 24 was one unit (not A and B) we hunted there for years. My dad killed a bunch of bucks there over 90. The great thing about 24B is there are not to many roads so you can get away from people. I can tell you from personal experience there are bucks well over 110 in this unit. The one reason people don't hunt it much is it has so much brush. If you have patience and good glass this could be to your advantage. Also I think the average hunter doesn't like to have to pack too far into remote places. I live in Globe and have spent a lot of time in 24B and can tell you there is definately great genetics there, but it is not an easy hunt.

Travis

CDN, as I mentioned previously I spend a lot of time in 24b looking for coues because it is so close to the house. I have a couple of theory's why you don't hear much about the unit. First off, as mentioned earlier, the majority of prime coues habitat is located in the wilderness area. In areas where roads are available they are usually on the boarder of good areas or in marginal areas. Units 22 & 23 have more coues habitat that is more easily accessed by vehicles. I personaly don't believe that the gene pool is any different in unit 24b than it is in 22 & 23. Inside the wilderness area the terrain is steep and vegatation is very thick with oaks, manzinita, and junipers. Glassing and moving about can be very difficult. I think many who apply for 24b do so as a "back up unit" or as a second choice, and when they do get drawn they don't take the time to prepare and scout. With all this said I think the reason 24b does not shine as bright as the others mentioned is because it is a difficult hunt which requires much scouting and patience. Good bucks are there, you just have to work extra hard to find them.

Guest CDN

Tam/Travis , I really appreciate the feed back. Maybe my luck will change with 24B. I dont know where I'm going to put in for yet,but maybe 24B. Thanks again, CDN

Lets just hope you get drawn this year. It's not as easy as it used to be. I guess you could always archery hunt 24b also. Good luck!