Sign in to follow this  
Lee Comaduran

southern NW

Hey can anyone tell me how the mule deer hunting south of Lordsburg is? I have the opportunity to a land owner tag in that area and I wanted to see what you guys could tell me about it. Most of the property is located around the pyramid mountains.

There are mule deer in the Pyramids and their foothills. Densities are low, probably no more than 2 or so deer per section. I have seen some good bucks taken out of that country in the past, but not every year. The country is not well watered, so livestock watering points are a good place to start you scouting.

I scouted the south end last year for a friend from Texas who had drawn a tag in Unit 26, and saw at least fourteen mature bucks scattered across a ranch of approximately 20,000 acres--no toads, though. He hunted hard and finally took a mature 3x3 on the last day of his hunt.

not to hijack your thread, triple seven, but Ben I have a quick question for ya.. how is the access into the big and little Hatchets?? Easy, hard, locked gates, etc??

Thanks

Scotty:

The Big Hatchets are pretty much all federal and state land and virtually none of it is landlocked. The north side of Hatchet Peak is ranched by the Peterson family, while the south side is included in Hurt Cattle Company's leases. The Hurts have an outfitter/guided hunt operation, so I suspect that their side is more likely to have access issues, if there are any.

The Little Hatchets are another story. Access is largely controlled by three private ranches (one of which is the Hurt operation). The other two landowners are absentee, but have on-site managers and locked gates. That said, you can still access the mountains on foot or horseback if you have a land-status map and a GPS.

Hope this helps...