COOSEFAN

Coosefan's New Thunderstick

The Outdoorsmans also makes there own version of a rifle rest that mounts onto a tripod. I own one and love it. I use it with there pistol grip which allows me to move the rifel in any direction if the animal moves. With my Bogen tripod I can use it from the standing position down to sitting. It only weighs 5 ounces and the wings fold in making it very compact. The down side is that it's pretty pricy.

post-25-1219543460.gif

For a rifle rest on a tripod, Jim White sells (or did) a base that you put on an extra plate for the tripod head, and could insert it quickly. I was out shooting this morning with a Harris bipod and a set of Stoney Point shooting sticks under the buttstock in a sitting position. Using the shooting sticks under the stock's butt is steadier than the Harris bipod alone, but still not solid enough for long shots, as you mentioned.

Rifletripodbase002.jpg

That rest from Jim White is cool and would be easier! I have tried Stoney Points Doug and you are correct, they are not strong enough to hold the gun steady! They are not near as sturdy as the custom sticks I use. My buddy built these sticks for the sole purpose of using on the rear of the gun, they have absolutely no wobble or bend like the Stoney Points do and that makes a huge difference! Thanks JIM>