COOSEFAN

Coosefan's New Thunderstick

Hey guys, I know it's 4:00 am, but this is the only time I've had to get on here.....I'll be sleeping in tomorrow....uh, i mean today ;)

My buddy brought the rifle over to me last week in Williams so I could play with it and see what all else I need done to it. I stopped on my way back to camp to shoot it and without it even being sighted in I used the turrets to "walk" the bullets in to about a 5" group at 600yrds!!!! The gun is going back to Cali this weekend to get finished and there is still some fine tuning on the load to be done. A muzzle break will be added next week and eventually spiral fluting and skeletonizing on the bolt, straight fluting on the barrel, and finally either black or tan cera-kote on all the metal!

The gun started as a 300 Win. Mag. Remington 700 that my brother had that I stole and sent to my friend in CA. I then ordered the Lazzeroni Thumbhole stock from McMillan and my buddy ordered the barrel from Hart. I recently purchased the VXIII 6.5-20x50 Leupold Long Range Target Model scope with the fine duplex reticle and shipped it off to him. My buddy has been a custom rifle builder for many years so I know he know's what he's doing and he told me all the different things he did to the action, rings and barrel but i can't remember, I just know there's a lot more to gun building than I ever imagined! 6 months have gone by and all the peices have finally arrived and put together. I can't wait to get it back and get shootin'! JIM>

newgun2.jpg

newgun5.jpg

newgun3.jpg

newgun6.jpg

newgun4.jpg

OH........AND HERE'S THE BEST PART!!!! :lol: :lol: :P

newgun.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So what do we call your rifle for short???? :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How bout....... Envy!!!! ;)

Sweet rig!!! Love the stock, my friend!! Enjoy!!

Jim,

Did you keep it as a 300WM? I like the color mix on the stock. The final product should be a gem. And the name is worth a good chuckle too :lol: . There are still some leftover coues tags to pick up and christen this rifle properly ;)

The only thing better than stealing cool stuff from your brothers is stealing cool stuff from your Dad! Posession is 9/10's of the law. ;)

Nice rifle! I should be getting my custom finished in the next month or so. I can't wait.

Congratulations!!! Great looking rifle. Thats gonna be a sweet ride to some huge horns!!! :lol:

PH

Imitation is the highest form of flattery ;)

What did you really name her Jim? Ghostbuster?

Nice rig! What was the turn around time on the stock?

Thanks guys, I did keep it as a 300 Win Mag, the stock took almost 6 months and I still haven't decided if I'll get an actual name stamped on her, but we'll see. I actually feel bad that the first critter it'll hammer is gonna be a Muley, this was to be my Coues rifle, but oh well, I'll just have to make sure it's a monster Muley ;)

now that's funny right there. the stock looks like the old lawson design. where did you find it? mcmillan? hafta look it up. Lark.

The stock is the Lazzeroni Thumbhole by McMillan. It feels wierd at first but after handling and shoulderin' it for a while it becomes very comfortable and almost like it's a part of you. The one thing that can pose a problem is the high cheek area, you would need higher rings if you have prominent cheek features on your face. The guy working up the loads for me has been complaining for weeks 'cause it slams his cheek bone. It fits me perfectly as is but I can see what he's talkin about. The grip area actually turns out to the side fairly hard as well and most people try to hold it vertically straight up which cants the gun to the side and throws everything off tilt, but once you realize that and get used to angling your wrist, it feels more natural than any other stock i've shot.

Is that a tan 1750? Geez, I think you have the only one in the state right now. <_< Also what is that tripod mount, and where did you get that thing, I want.

Nice rifle, I love the 700 action to no end.

Well since I'm unfortunately not out whackin' fuzzy Coues bucks like everyone else, I decided to go throw some lead and get a little more comfortable with the new gun. I have to drive it to Cali tomorrow to give it back and it's gonna be hard to part with it so I figured I'd shoot it once more. Without being sighted in yet, I still had to "walk" the bullet into the target and it took 4 shots at 200 yards to hit center and from that point on it is amazingly accurate! Funny thing is my buddies aren't satisfied with the load yet so they are going to fine tune it this next week and slap on that muzzlebrake.....which I definitely need :(

I don't know the exact colors in the stock because all I did was send them this picture I found and told them I want the same recipe. They looked it up and still had it on file so it worked!

McMillanstock.jpg

The tripod setup is one of several that one of my "retired engineer" buddies built for me, he also builds the shooting sticks that are an important part of the setup. All the implements utilize the Outdoorsmans Tripod legs and I just swap out the center post which makes it easy in the feild. The main thing that makes this setup effective in the field is the shooting sticks supporting the rear of the gun.......if done right it's "bench rest" solid!

At 200 yards it's not a problem being this high up off the ground, but any farther than that you have to get as close to the ground as possible for stability. One of the center post attachments he made me is very short and you can drop the tripod low enough to shoot prone, but a backpack works just as good and along with an 8" set of shooting sticks I've got for the rear, it's rock solid in the prone position!

Here's the short center post attachment, you can sort of see it.......

PerksProductsLoper_edited-1.jpg

Here's the longer center post attachment for closer ranges....

newgun10.jpg

newgun11.jpg

newgun12.jpg

For a rifle rest on a tripod, Jim White sells (or did) a base that you put on an extra plate for the tripod head, and could insert it quickly. I was out shooting this morning with a Harris bipod and a set of Stoney Point shooting sticks under the buttstock in a sitting position. Using the shooting sticks under the stock's butt is steadier than the Harris bipod alone, but still not solid enough for long shots, as you mentioned.

Rifletripodbase002.jpg