716OutWest

22N Late Rifle

I want to second the notion of a few others in this thread to spend the money on good glass and good boots (and maybe a pack frame) vs. getting a guide.  I have hunted 22N for cow elk for about 18 years now, and can say first hand their are big bulls to be had, even in the late season.   Don't think about what is there "today" but rather where they would come from if there is weather, and hunting pressure in other units.  You are going to be looking for some worn-out, tired boys that just went through 2 hard months of rut and hunting pressure.  They will make it a point not to be found (but also they will make it a point to not have to work hard for food or water).

I will be in 22N for a Junior hunt on the 8th, my hunt on the 15th, and then for my brothers Bull hunt the same week as you.  I won't ever share areas in a virtual format, but DM me if you are thinking of being in the area.  A few beers at Double D usually helps me share secrets :)

• Like 1

I drew the hunt after yours and am looking forward to getting out there with my son (pack mule) for a repeat of the same hunt two years ago. 
I’ve been drawn for this late 22n bull hunt a number of times over the years and it’s just plain fun! Like others have said, it’s not a Unit that produces a wall hanger, but if you enjoy getting out in the hills with the possibility of bringing home some tasty elk meat then you will have a great time. 
For me, I say in a nearby hotel because the weather can be downright cold and nasty. 
What’s worked best for me is finding a great spot to glass away from the roads and sticking with that same spot day after day. Glass till your eyes can’t stand it…then glass some more. Let other hunters walk the hills and keep the elk moving. Just because you don’t see an elk in the first day…or forth day doesn’t mean they aren’t there…you just haven’t seen them yet. 
Hands down your best investment is a good pair of binoculars on a tripod. 
Glass across canyons and be prepared for a potential long shot. Get to your spot before the sun comes up, then stay there while glassing until legal shooting time is reached. 
Two years ago I shot a spike on the last day, and it was one tasty elk!

Good luck and be safe.