Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

Archery mule deer success

I don't have a lot of time to write a story as I'm leaving soon for my elk hunt but wanted to post a quick bit about my deer hunt. My hunting buddy and I found several bucks last spring during turkey season. Many of you that have been around here long might remember the shed picture and later a trail cam pick that I posted. For those that didn't see them

post-137-1220898476_thumb.jpg

...post-137-1220899300_thumb.jpg

We drew tags this year for this unit and spent a lot of time and money (diesel fuel is expensive if you hadn't heard) scouting and running a couple of trail cams. We were able to get a few pictures of this same buck through July and August.

post-137-1220899508_thumb.jpg

Well, long story short, at 8:15 Tuesday morning Boone killed "Stubby". Boone nicknamed him that because his tail is missing, or was just a stub. He made a great shot at 25 yards with his Hoyt Katera and Stubby went down 18 yards later. To say we were exstatic wouldn't describe it. We're both a little sad though that we won't get any more pics of him. We were both excited each time we would go check our cameras just to see him, and really disappointed when he wasn't in any of the pictures.

post-137-1220899743_thumb.jpg

post-137-1220899759_thumb.jpg

Since Stubby was done, I became less picky and was able to kill my first deer with a recurve on Thursday evening. I shot him at 7:20 pm with my Black Widow 59#@29" at 27 yards. He went 175 yards before crawling into a bush to die in. I'm not sure why, he was hit nearly identically to Boone's deer and died quickly but he sure covered some ground in the process.post-137-1220900027_thumb.jpg

post-137-1220900238.jpg

Sorry about the field photo, taking pictures by yourself in the dark is a PITA! The second is the next evening when Boone came back to help tear down camp and he's a better friend than photographer! :P

Now, on an infuriating note, I have already heard a rumor going around that Stubby was killed in Jamaro's neighborhood. It really sucks when you put in as much time as we did to scout this buck that that sort of crap gets started. All I can say is that there are over 1000 pictures from our cams, two different guys that saw us packing this buck out, and a game warden friend of mine that know exactly where this buck was killed, and guess what? None of it was in J's hood!

Kevin