Sign in to follow this  
Petersen

36A report for Coues

Well the the first part of the big rifle hunt for the Coues is over for the moment. The bucks were just really starting to get into the rut. During the first few days the spikes were playing around and sparring with each other. Only bucks of this caliber and a large 7 point were following the does that we saw.

After a couple of days it started getting better and we were locating some larger bucks. On the fourth day of the hunt we located an eight point that would easily go over 90". The mass of this buck's horns were evident in the spotting scope. Unfortunately he moved into a thick bottom during the stalk. This buck and the smaller one he was with ended up sneaking out on us. Later that day while we were glassing in the Las Guijas mountains I located a Mountain Lion and it was a big cat. That was real exciting as it is the first Mountain Lion I had ever seen in the wild and we were able to watch him for a length of time. There were about six javelina feeding about fifty yards below him as well. I think the kitty wanted piggy for dinner.

On the sixth day of the hunt my father (who had one of the tags) and myself were able to close the gap on the large 8 point we watched on day four. The first stalk put us to 425 yards and at this time this buck and the one with him made us and the walked over the ridge. The buck that was with him was significantly wider but his horns were thinner and the points were shorter. We then put together another stalk and worked to them from another angle. This stalk put us at 375 yards from the deer and we couldn't get closer. The shot failed to make a long story short.

On day seven a friend of ours who had the other tag located what I think was the same two bucks with four does. He was able to bag the deer that was thinner and wider than the heavy horned eight point. This deer grossed about 96 (a nine poitn) and will only have a couple of inches of deductions. The deer had a 16 inch outside spread. I will post pics when I figure out how to.

Things are definitely heating up with the rut in 36A. The deer are starting move more and I'm hoping my dad will get back out there after Christmas.

This was my first time hunting in 36A and was impressed with the amount of game. During the entire week there was only a couple of places we stopped that we were unable to locate game while glassing.

This website helped me a lot and would like to thank those who helped me in the adventure. Travelling to a new area is never easy and it is always great to start where you need to.

Peterson, Thanks for the update and photo's. Great buck! I hope your Dad will get back and fill his tag. Did you have a tag or just helping your Dad?

Congrats!

azyoung

Peterson, Thanks for the update and photo's. Great buck! I hope your Dad will get back and fill his tag. Did you have a tag or just helping your Dad?

Congrats!

azyoung

My dad left to go back the day after Christmas and I haven't heard from him yet. The weather doesn't look too good down there and it looks like it may clear up for the last few days of the hunt.

I had an archery tag but didn't even give it a try as I was busy hunting with the rifle boys. I don't think it would of been too hard to tag a little mule deer buck if I would of had a chance to put in a little time.