JimmyHat

Unit 23 New Mexico

Kind of a useless post, Im trying to do a little on line cyber snooping to pick up some useful info on coues in 23.  I got this as a 4 th choice.  Its the only tag I got this year.  When I put in 4th choice s.w. quadrant, for some reason, coues never even crossed my mind.  I thought I'd wind up with a 21 or 23 September mule deer tag.  Gotta be honest, those little deer are just not my cup of tea and I wish I could be a little more excited.

Oh well, if anybody wants to drop a little info for me I'll take it cause I'm not seeing a lot online.  Plan right now is to just try and find some water holes on OnX and mark them.  Maybe one weekend scouting trip.

Thanks.

If you want to transfer the tag to me, I'll take it. LOL! I put in for several NM hunts and got nothing this year.

Hunt up against the AZ state line behind Alma/Glenwood or west of Mule creek.

Jeff

• Like 1

Appreciate that, thank you.  I’ve spent a good chunk of time today marking water sources in the area you mentioned.  Good to know I might in the ball park.

you have experience here in this area I assume, what’s the mt. lion population like.  I’d guess they’re pretty thick?

You are welcome.

I have not hunted WT in 23 but I have hunted elk in 23 and it was one of the units I put in for this year.  I live in Safford and have driven through the unit a lot over the years and see WT frequently around the areas I mentioned.  I have spent time in AZ unit 27 which is up against a lot of unit 23 and the WT habitat flows well between the states.  Since I live close I get a lot of good information about 23 and have heard that bears are common and lions are lions, you rarely see them even if populations are high.  I would buy a bear and lion tag.

Jeff

I wanted to give an update since it seems nobody ever does after asking for help on a hunt.

Anyways, I didn’t kill a coues.  Saw a lot of mulies, a lot of elk.  Was relieved and a bit surprised I only saw hunters on the road.  While I was out hiking and glassing I didn’t see anybody.  

If I was to do this again, I would spend more time north and I would hunt bears with the idea that I’d shoot a deer if I happen to get a chance.  

• Like 9