Sign in to follow this  
ruffcountry

average coues buck measurements

I trying to figure out how to use my scopes plex crosshair as a range finder . Can someone help me with some average measurements of a coues buck , maybe like , length of body , depth of body , ear width , body width , etc.?

I trying to figure out how to use my scopes plex crosshair as a range finder . Can someone help me with some average measurements of a coues buck , maybe like , length of body , depth of body , ear width , body width , etc.?

The Coues white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus couesi) is one of the smallest deer in America. Coues deer stand around 28-32 inches tall at the shoulder and measure about 56 inches (1426 mm) from head to tail. A large field-dressed buck will rarely exceed 80-90 lbs. (although some can exceed 100 pounds) .

You can find out more if you scroll down to the bottom of the CWT home page.

Back in the 80's I measured about half a dozen mature (90-100 lb.) whitetail bucks from the Galiuros from the bottom of the front feet to the top of the shoulder and from the brisket to the rump. I was surprised that the measurements were the same--30". In other words a whitetailfrom its back to the ground and from rump to brisket is a 30" square. As it is sometimes hard to get one to stand broadside for a measurement, I have since gone to a rangefider which I find to be much more satisfactory when coupled with my Leupold scope with the 300 and 400 yard dots. Jack

I just measured a deer I killed last weekend. It was the largest bodied coues buck that I've shot to date. i aged him at 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 years and he grossed 112". The measurement from the bottom of his chest to the top of his shoulder was 13 1/2 inches. That also can help with knowing where to hold your crosshairs on his body.

The coues buck I took this year measured 32 in tall at the shoulder , 31 1/2 in long from chest to rump , 13 1/2 in deep from top of shoulder to bottom of chest . I didnt weigh him , but I did carry him a ways and I would estimate that he weighed about 80 pounds field dressed . His gross score was 95 .

Just for comparative purposes , here are the measurements of a whitetail buck I recently bagged in western Oklahoma .

length approx 40 in

height approx 39 in

body depth approx 16 in

field dressed weight 165 lbs