Sign in to follow this  
YOUNGGUNZ

Health Risks??

I took the head and cape of the buck that my dad shot last weekend to Wellers, so they could have an extra cape on hand and when Gavin cut the ears off they were loaded with big grey ticks. To the point that it probably made this buck very hearing impaired. My question is; Will the presence of these Numerous ticks pose any health risks to Humans by consuming the meat or to the deer for that matter? Thanks for any comments. Carl

I've shot more than a few deer that were infested with ticks, and I agree with Amanda about eating the meat. If there were problems with eating venison from tick-infested deer my family and I would be in big trouble. Also, I've never heard of Lyme disease caused by ticks from an Arizona deer.

Bill Quimby

I've shot more than a few deer that were infested with ticks, and I agree with Amanda about eating the meat. If there were problems with eating venison from tick-infested deer my family and I would be in big trouble. Also, I've never heard of Lyme disease caused by ticks from an Arizona deer.

Bill Quimby

That is what I was worried about.

Lyme disease is spread to people by a direct bite from a deer tick, not by eating meat of a deer bitten by a tick. And I also think the ticks you saw in the ears are not the same as the deer tick that spreads lyme disease. Deer ticks that carry lyme disease are extremely small, like the head on a pin.

I did recently talk to someone who said she knew someone who was were sure she contracted Lyme disease in Arizona since she hadn't been anywhere else, but if true, it's extremely rare. Lyme disease is much more common in the eastern half of the country.

Amanda