coueschaser3

Beginning reloading??

So really have never reloaded at all. But am looking into starting for primarily 223,270win, and 300wby. I was looking at the rockchucker kit to start out so for all you reload folks. aside from powder, bullets, and brass. What do i need other than the kit and dies? i have zero experience and have a friend i think would help a bit. When you buy dies for a round is that all you need if you have the other stuff...just lookin for a list on basically what i need to be Good to go. any advice on brands would help to. thanks.

Alright. So i took the two book reading advice and am partway through the first.....dont have to buy em as i work at bass pro and its a good way to kill time... But wow!!!! ive got quite a bit of knowledge in the gun buisiness and deal in fine guns, i have always known alot about different arms but again WOW, thanks for the advice i have a whole new understanding of things and how things work and like i said im only half way through the first one. Right now im on the 7th edition Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading. Any suggestions on what books are better than others or others to read? since its free i might as well read em all.\ :lol:

When I was getting started the most common

and best advise I kept getting was to buy

2 of the top reloading books and read them

front to back before you spend any other money.

It was and is good advise and will give a better understanding

of what components you will NEED and than WANT.

Ill check one out thanks.

two....gotcha. ;)

Gamehauler gave you the #1 addvice, spot on.

The #2 is after you get your eqip find someone to help get you setup and walk you through it. I live in Mesa and would happily come over and help, I did it on my own but a little help would have stiffled the fear I had when I pulled the trigger the first time.

A basic kit will get you started and you can add other equip if you think you need it.

I'm taking my son-in-law on his first coues hunt and leaving in a little bit, if I can help you out let me know.

Kent

Kent, you are right about #2

I did it all on my own also and wish I had a Mentor

to answer the simple questions and add the confidence.

P.S. C.C.3

If you want to start loading to save money :unsure:

Stop right now :huh:

If you want to load so you can shoot more or many other reasons

Carry On :rolleyes:

My number one reason is to customize the loads for the 270 and 300 wby maybe 45 70. second is to stock up on 223 rounds as im building an AR. Thanks for all your help, im not plannin on buyin until after my elk hunt so ive got time to do some reading. by the looks of it the rock chucker kit has about everything but dies and a case trimmer. Thanks again.

My number one reason is to customize the loads for the 270 and 300 wby maybe 45 70. second is to stock up on 223 rounds as im building an AR. Thanks for all your help, im not plannin on buyin until after my elk hunt so ive got time to do some reading. by the looks of it the rock chucker kit has about everything but dies and a case trimmer. Thanks again.

If you are into Berger 168 gr. VLD's or Balistic tip 150 gr. bullets for that 300 WBY, extreme coues or I can thow you a bone.... when you are ready.

GH had great advice for you above... Mike, I need those books! ;) :lol:

extreme coues is my reloading partner and he is dang good at it, so I have cheated the whole reading thing.... but need to still get that done one of these days.... :rolleyes:

Best of luck!

Tim, I can spot ya on a few things if you start reloading for me too! LOL

Since you want to reload for 3000WBY you can get me one of them too. :P

If you are into Berger 168 gr. VLD's or Balistic tip 150 gr. bullets for that 300 WBY, extreme coues or I can thow you a bone.... when you are ready.

GH had great advice for you above... Mike, I need those books! ;) :lol:

extreme coues is my reloading partner and he is dang good at it, so I have cheated the whole reading thing.... but need to still get that done one of these days.... :rolleyes:

Best of luck!

Coincidentally thats exactly what i wanna work up for the 300wby especially. ill let ya know when i get everything in order and thanks alot for the advice and help....Might have to come with cody and give yall an extra set of eyes for that 22dec tag.

Tim, I can spot ya on a few things if you start reloading for me too! LOL

Since you want to reload for 3000WBY you can get me one of them too. :P

3000wby? wow i need me one of those :P i dunno if you want me reloadin for ya from the start, specially if ya like the way your face is configured :lol: if i get good well make ya a nice lil round for that Diet 7mag ackley you just got.

Good advice on the books thanks!

You will also need,

A caliper

trimmer

hand primming tool

tumbler

dies

more reloading blocks

you will also want to upgrade the scale that come with the kit, its junk

shell holders

Along with the reloading manuals, you will want to start your own notebook.

As for manuals, look for the ones that have data for the caliber, powder and bullets you plan to use.

When you get your equipment and have questions, PM me and I will give you my #. you will be surprised how easy it really is.