Sign in to follow this  
fatfootdoc

flippin coyotes!!

So I was hunting NM archery and we had glassed up a nice whitetail tending a doe. They bedded down in a saddle with a covered draw approaching it to within 30 yards. The buck was about 90 and apparently they had been hard at it because they both bedded down and fell asleep. So I sent my buddy on his way and he was sneaking across a small open area( the last one before he was in before heavy cover) and I was watching the doe and the buck through the old fujinons and not a move out of them when suddenly a darn coyote howls across the canyon and just happened to be in the same direction my buddy was in and sure enough instant bust. Now I have never had that happen before, just wondered how many interesting ways that you all have been busted!? The buck was is the same area as the one bullwidgeon killed and was the spitting image of his. Oh well. Needless to say we are going to go predator hunting out there in a few weeks. AG

Sounds like some tough luck there, Doc. :(

Didn't have that much luck myself on my hunt, I found a muledeer haven but the coues bucks were MIA. :P

Are you a foot DR in Silver City? Your name actually came up at our deer camp. My buddy said he knows a foot doc by the name of Gough.

Could be coincidental. :P

Tommy,

If your buddy liked him then thats me, if the name was preceded or followed by a cuss word it must be someone else :P

I have been in Silver since 2001 and love it. Great place, great people.

What are your thoughts on the new regs? They seemed pretty tight with the archery and rifle whitetail tags I thought. I am putting in for muzzleloader elk this year instead of archery as well due the new point restrictions in 16 B, I have a hard enough time getting near any bull much less a 5 point or better!! :P

Do you guide for groups? There is a group of us crazy foot docs that try to arrange hunts and then have evening lectures for continuing education credits. So we get to hunt and get lectured to at the same time. Might be able to set something up for next year or the year after, does not have to be coues deer. Let me know, you can send me a IM if you want. AG

AG

I promiss you the words were all good. It is too bad about those dang dogs... We heard them signin all night where we were camping... It is crazy. Have you chased song dogs in the past? We usually hunt south of the Burros...

Ahh.. those good ol' CEU's... :( I once had a client describe to me medically how a elk he shot died.. :P I think my head was spinning for about a hour... You guys should do a javelina hunt... those are FUN and low stress... maybe you guys could have a competion for the biggest stink pig... Whoever wins does not have to eat the sucker... :D

I agree they are tight on the coues tags but I don't think that there are very many dedicated whitey hunters... the other day in camp we came up with less than 50...

SOOO there is hope.. That smokepole hunt could be great... they are usually still going off during that hunt and if the weather is warm you can catch them at tanks...

jason

:P

I think I have been busted because of a yote one time. I darn near steped on its tail and it bolted out and the deer spooked. I think he was wanting the deer as bad as I was. I hve been busted by that never ending covey of quail. Yea you know the one that just flyes far enough ahead so you can jump them again and again all day. I think the worst one so far was when I busted myself with that out of the blue snezzzzzz. It was either that or blow every vain in my head.

Jason,

When I lived in AZ there were always whitetail tags left over because there were no dedicated whitetail hunters. Now you cant get drawn for the November hunts anymore. I am just worried that people will use the whitetail for the 2nd choice if they don't get drawn for muley in the unit they like. That will suck up all the tags.

I have gone after dogs for several years. There is nothing like seeing them come in at full tilt. There were tons of dogs in 23 this year. they need some population management :D ,

ag

Man thats tough! I was hoping you would get one over there. Usually on that hill the Mearns quail get me while sneaking around. We didn't see that many coyotes over there this year but last year there were lots of them and they do need to be thinned out. Good luck if you go back out again.

Bret M.

Bret,

It really sucked because it was the first stalk my buddy had ever tried, he probably would have blown it anyway but at least it would have been more fun for him. They were bedded by the 2 tanks in the saddle just above where the draw comes up so he would have had good cover all the way in. Man that buck was the spitting image of the one you killed this year. We are going to go manage some coyotes within the next few weeks. They need to be thinned out, we saw 4 of them running together on the flat. AG