Sign in to follow this  
jonesface

2 ?s

Ok I have two questions that you guys might be able to help me with.

1st. We have a pack of coyotes here at work that we see on a regular basis except on days like today.(Cold and windy) It seems like they disappear when the weather is like it is.(ecspecially windy days) On any other given day we can go out and see them. But days like today they disappear. Does anybody know where they go or what they are doing? (In city limits so cant shoot them!)

2nd. When you hunt in flat terrain but brushy,(Mesquite and cholla ect..) how do you get elevated to see those coyotes coming in?(No mountains around)

Thanks for the help!

In flat terrain guys will set up 6 or 8 ft ladders to give them some elevation to see what's coming in.

Answer #1--The coyotes are still there. They have a very unique ability to burrow themselves in even the smallest bushes to get out of the wind. They really do not like the wind and will do whatever they need to do to stay out of it. If there are any little ditches in the area, or even small little ravines, they will be in the bottoms.

Answer #2--Some will do the ladder thing, but not most. It's kind of a pain in the arse carrying a big ladder!! Most will simply ignore the area, even though it really does have enormous potential. The hunters who do hunt the very thick stuff use a shotgun. It's actually pretty fun to call in the thick stuff. The action can be fast and furious and you have to be 100% ready for when that dog shows up or you may miss the opportunity.

If you really feel the need to get elevated, simply take a small stool. You would be amazed at how much more you really can see if you just get up a foot or so off the ground and onto a stool.

On a windy day it is very hard to call critters they hate the wind as much as us. I won't even call on the windy days, but the day that follows is usually very good. If you don't want to carry a ladder just simply stand. Get burried up in a tree or bush to break up your outline. In fact I stand as much as I sit when calling. Good luck on those coyotes.