Sign in to follow this  
alexjh1

A little help

OK, last year I tried my first ever white tail deer hunt with an over the counter archery tag. While hunting Javelina in 36c I had came across a lot of coues deer and said, man this should be a slam dunk. I had seen the same buck 10 pointer multiple years on the same hill. Come archery season, late December, I could not get with in 250 yards of him and the rest of the deer just vanished...thats coues deer right! Thought I would outsmart them and go rifle hunting this year in 29, spent my first week just trying to find a way around the private land..wow what a chore, Maps help! I just got back from a week long attempt at those little guys. First day glassed up 30+ females no bucks, it had snowed 4-6 inches everywhere. My son and I were in sight of a water tank from the hill we were glassing. Second day less deer, 2 javelina and 2 bucks 3/4 mile out. They barely came out of some really thick trees. I have read everything I can, glassed more than hiked and having a tough time figuring these guys out. The warmer it got the less deer I saw, they were moving up til about 11:00-12:00am which goes against everything I have read. So, my questions are..I am new at this and would like to teach my 15 year old son what I never learned growing up..how do these guys work? Do they water regularly, morning or night? Movements and when? How does weather and the moon affect them? Rut, oh dont get me started...Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb...When do they actually rut, I thought the cold kicked them into gear and the snow would do the trick...no luck, they were not interested in the brothel of females infront of them. Any help would be appreciated.

hello - :unsure: - Welcome to the wide world of Coues deer hunting! Everyone here could come up with different answers to your questions. You didn't do anything wrong ! That's why they call it hunting. It's never gonna be an easy or sure thing no matter how many books you read or advise you get from others!

Nothing wrong with asking for help! To be truthful every trip is different. All the things you asked about can and do change deer patterns and habits! I don't think there is any perfect answers! The best advise I can give you-. Take the time to look at your hunt and what you learned from it and don't get discouraged. You were hunting in a new area , hunting a deer you never hunted before and were seeing deer. That's a great accomplishment!

The main thing is enjoy the experience and be glad you could share it with your son! It shouldn't take too many trips to actaully tag your first Coues deer .

Good luck in the future! I hope you stick with it! Gary

I would recommend you start by buying the book How to Hunt Coues Deer from the store on this site. You probably couldn't spend a better $24 to begin your coues deer education.

Thanks guys, I really apreciate your support. Yes, very excited to get out and see deer and share with my son any time. Not enough parants doing it these days. Talked to the wildlife officer in Tuscon which gave me the best advice for the success I had which was get high and spend more time glassing than hiking. I will say that helped a ton in locating the animals. I did purchase the book after my archery attempt last year which again helped a lot. The book lacked a little in the details all hunters are looking for. Great basic concepts on the hunts and the deer. I wont give up, I think I am more excited and determined than ever after this trip. I was looking for that next step in closing the distance and understanding the deer.