Sign in to follow this  
AZHUNTER05

Unit 10 youth hunt question

Good afternoon, 

My son and I went up to unit 10 for a few scouting trips at the end of August and beginning of September. However, we decided to stay out of the unit while the archery hunts were going on. So…I was just curious if anyone has been up there recently, and what the rutting activity is looking like? Are they still making noise? 

Thanks, 

Cameron

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

They will still be vocal for a few more weeks, on and off.

Thanks 👍. This is the first time I’ve been on a youth elk hunt. So, I wasn’t really sure what to expect. 

2 hours ago, AZHUNTER05 said:

Thanks 👍. This is the first time I’ve been on a youth elk hunt. So, I wasn’t really sure what to expect. 

I've hunted fall turkeys and heard bugles. No problem chasing bugles. Be advised that once you are with in 75 yards you will encounter cows and calves. The bull and the herd usually is not on high alert. 

Take your time to inch in closer. Usually in early morning at sunrise or before there isn't much wind and the bull will be preoccupied, cows not so much but it is the best time of day to stalk them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I've hunted fall turkeys and heard bugles. No problem chasing bugles. Be advised that once you are with in 75 yards you will encounter cows and calves. The bull and the herd usually is not on high alert. 

Take your time to inch in closer. Usually in early morning at sunrise or before there isn't much wind and the bull will be preoccupied, cows not so much but it is the best time of day to stalk them.

I should have clarified that I’m not new to elk hunting, just the youth hunt in October. I’m an archery hunter so I’ve really only hunted them in September when they’re still pretty vocal. I just wasn’t sure what to expect this late in the year. I truly appreciate the information though 🙏

Not sure how you're first weekend went, but they were bugling for us on my son's hunt last weekend.  He tagged out Friday afternoon after getting on a bull bugling like crazy in the canyon off the point we were on.