TEmbry

New Guy Here!

Just dropping a line to introduce myself here. I am an 18 year old ambitious hunter from KY. I am pretty much a bow only hunter at this point. I have taken whitetail and pronghorn with the bow...looking to add a sitka blacktail and coues deer for 09.

I hope to complete my deer slam within 5 years. August 2009 will find me on Kodiak Island Alaska DIY for Sitka Blacktails. December or January 2010 will find me in Arizona chasing Coues deer or possibly desert mulies. August 2010 is Northern California for Columbian Blacktail.

I hope to start hunting Arizona every single year beginning next winter. I hope to learn all about them and pick up some pointers surfing the boards here.

Just rambling here, just thought I would let you know a little bit about myself. Can't wait to see some more success photos from you guys over the next year, as I hunt AZ vicariously through your photos.

I do have a question about Arizona without prying for specific areas, as I have seen alot of newcomers do. Is there any areas in AZ big enough for a guy to hike in away from the roads and hunt 4-5 days away from others...or is hunting near the roads among other hunters about all their is? I would LOVE to backpack in and rough it for a week or so chasing the grey ghosts.

Welcome, TEmbry! Best of luck on your "Deer Slam"!!!! ;) Plenty of places in AZ to get away from roads.... and you can hunt hese deer in nearly every type of terrain in AZ! Again Welcome!!! ;) :D I'm sure you will learn alot just by sitting back and watching! ;)

Welcome Trevor,

You sure are an ambitous 18 year old. There are definatly some places a person can hike into and stay a while here in AZ. Look at a few maps and you will be able to find a good place, Don't be suprised if you still see one or two people though.

I have to agree with Hoyt and Benelli only the best!

Jeremy

Welcome to the forum and wow, it's neat to see a young person with some serious goals! Good luck on all your hunts!

As has been said, there are plenty of great backpack hunting places in AZ. Take a look at the wilderness areas in the US Forest Services lands around the state. And really it doesn't even have to be a designated wilderness to get away from people. Just look for areas a couple miles from a road and you are good to go.

Amanda

Thanks for the tips! I have a year yet before I head out, so I plan to do some serious map and topo scouring in the meantime. I've discussed strategy with a few people and think I might just have a hunt plan strategized, just finalizing where to put this plan in action. I hope to give myself 10-14 days out there so I will have enough time to atleast get to where I can spot the deer if nothing else. I will go in with zero expectations the first trip, just a learning experience.

Ill definitely put my backpacking gear to the test in Alaska...if it survives that trip with flying colors...then it should do me ok in the Arizona scene.

I may have misrepresented what I was looking for...I wasn't expecting to pack in and be in my own deer hunting oasis....I just have heard some horror stories about the numbers of hunters near the roads....and have been told numerous times the farther in I go, the more likely my success will go up and hunter disturbance will go down. I guess we will see. I figured hunting farther in, and on weekdays will also help my odds.

If I do a 10+ day trip...I figured I could do 3-4 day excursions, come back restock, shower, and sleep in a hotel bed for a night...then head back out for another few days.

Welcome Trevor! If you're bowhunting, getting away from other hunters and finding spots away from others really shouldn't be a problem in any of the units. I very rarely run into others here in unit 27 even on the early rifle hunts and certainly don't run into anyone on the bowhunts especially the winter hunts. Good Luck on your Deer Slam!!

Welcome Trevor! If you're bowhunting, getting away from other hunters and finding spots away from others really shouldn't be a problem in any of the units. I very rarely run into others here in unit 27 even on the early rifle hunts and certainly don't run into anyone on the bowhunts especially the winter hunts. Good Luck on your Deer Slam!!

Well then I am coming over to hunt with you from now on Scott!!!! :lol: ;) Cuz it is like a dang Parking lot in this neck of the woods, this time of year!!! :rolleyes: <_<