Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

New mechanic starting out

1 hour ago, joe hunter said:

Buy the high tech electronic tools he needs off the truck. He can buy great tools online but it is convenient to deal with tool warranties in person on the truck. He should research becoming a Caterpiller tech. My brother in law is a Cat tech and has been sent to all kinds of training . He works on Cat engines and heavy equipment in a big clean shop with all the right tools and equipment.

On 12/14/2023 at 8:44 PM, ctafoya said:

My second oldest is out of the Navy and looking to transition to civilian work. He wrenched on equipment for the last 6 years, so he's not "new" but is starting from scratch with his own tools. He just picked up a box and is now looking to acquire tools. What are good options these days? I have a healthy mix of Snap on, Huskey, Craftsman, ETC, but I do not make my living wrenching. Milwaukee is starting to step it up with the stuff I have been buying lately for work but what is quality these days? He doesn't want to overspend, but he also wants to be taken seriously and not buy cheap tools. Thanks in advance for any input. 

If he’s interested in working at Empire Cat let me know. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, oz31p said:

If he’s interested in working at Empire Cat let me know. 

He is very interested.

• Like 2

Update, he got a position at Chapman Chevrolet. They are going to start him off hourly until he is comfortable to go flat rate. He's already looking at craigslist, garage and estate sales for specialty tools. He's got some starter stuff to get him going, but he at least has his foot in the door. 

Thank you all for your input and advice. 

• Like 3