Cambow

7mm Rem Mag vs. 7mm PRC thoughts

15 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

My ex- wife preferred my 28 with a brake over my .257 wby.

That's interesting... thanks.

37 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

How about pushing the freebore out on your current rig for the 7 mag? 

Like Weatherby did? FWIW it seems to be pretty common for people to do. My 700 is 1:9.25  and some newer rifles are 1:9 which will do fine up to 180's. If you need to go heavier get a 1:8 and have the smith increase the freebore.

On 12/27/2023 at 5:46 PM, PRDATR said:

And if nobody tried to improve on rounds we would all still be shooting 30-40 Krags, the 220 Russian would have disappeared into obscurity and Parker Ackley would have probably ended up selling farm equipment.

Men who have chased accuracy and performance with existing cartridges soon discover bullet design can be improved for a specific purpose and go down the rabbit hole and before you know it a new powder comes about, maybe even a primer. It'll never end, do we really want it too? I guess it's more fun to scoff about it than try to understand the whole concept.

i get that, but roy weatherby already perfected all these rounds. its just rehashed stuff every year now. and the dude is right about hornaday. 

5 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

How about pushing the freebore out on your current rig for the 7 mag? 

Do you know a smith willing to do this? Mine didn’t want to.

Ill have to buy a tool for it but I can do it. shoot me an email. Im on the far west side of valley. Keep in mind if it doesnt shoot well or does with that round your stuck with it. As in if it shoots well it likely wont shoot well with factory or shorter rounds

Mhughes@aarkmachine.com

2 hours ago, Cambow said:

Do you know a smith willing to do this? Mine didn’t want to.

Do you have room in the current magazine for a longer round? What do you expect to gain overall using the existing barrel length and twist rate?

Magazine is long enough… the 7mag I’m talking about has 1:8 twist barrel on it. Just want to seat out further if possible.

37 minutes ago, Cambow said:

Magazine is long enough… the 7mag I’m talking about has 1:8 twist barrel on it. Just want to seat out further if possible.

Talk to Todd South.

• Like 1

Pick your poison. Both work well. If you are building a semicustom or custom 7PRC is the rage. 7mm Rem Mag will basically do everything the PRC can just a little slower, but will have better barrel life. 

7RM is more commonly available which is another bonus. 

On 1/7/2024 at 12:27 PM, Hoss50 said:

Pick your poison. Both work well. If you are building a semicustom or custom 7PRC is the rage. 7mm Rem Mag will basically do everything the PRC can just a little slower, but will have better barrel life. 

7RM is more commonly available which is another bonus. 

The PRC actually has slightly less case volume than the RM....If all else is equal the RM is not slower.

On 1/8/2024 at 2:05 PM, MMACFIVE said:

The PRC actually has slightly less case volume than the RM....If all else is equal the RM is not slower.

By seating the bullets out a bit, I am getting better velocities from 7RM handholds than most are getting with the 7PRC. 

On 3/22/2024 at 1:45 PM, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Just ream some more free bore in.

I did find a gunsmith in Safford that is willing to do this for me.