Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

AZ G&F Quail Trap

I have started watching these episodes from G$F, the first Episode was about the wolf program her in AZ, this one talks about wild life bridges and tunnels and quail.

At 12 minutes in they are showing quail being trapped for relocation.

If anybody has connections with G$F........I have a pretty good quail trap concept that my dad taught me...........lots of quail can be caught in one trap......................

Very interesting on the quail stuff.  They mentioned the quail are too smart for the cone traps used for dove -- surprising.  Our local quail would be similar to the golf course quail and our neighborhood quail are HUGE, albeit not that warry, so they may not fare well.  Only a third of the nesting females surviving is disappointing.  Tough life for these critters that seem to only respond to winter rains.  Looks like it is going to be a BOOM year next with great numbers this year and record rains in January.  Wish the same could be said for the mearns.  Summer rains have sucked, though.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

Very interesting on the quail stuff.  They mentioned the quail are too smart for the cone traps used for dove -- surprising.  Our local quail would be similar to the golf course quail and our neighborhood quail are HUGE, albeit not that warry, so they may not fare well.  Only a third of the nesting females surviving is disappointing.  Tough life for these critters that seem to only respond to winter rains.  Looks like it is going to be a BOOM year next with great numbers this year and record rains in January.  Wish the same could be said for the mearns.  Summer rains have sucked, though.  

Back in the 70's we had people come from all over to hunt quail down around the farms in the boot heel of New Mexico.

I googled quail traps..............if you take this basic concept, cut a 6" hole in the bottom, dig a 5" wide ditch in the dirt from the outside of the cage to the hole in the center and then spread grain in the tunnel to the middle you will catch more quail than you can imagine.......one covey shows up and you can catch a bunch. They can't figure out how to get back out the hole.

Safeguard Pigeon Trap - 28" x 24" x 8"

• Like 1

We had dove go in and out of the cone undeterred unless highly stressed (running up there) but the quail had a really tough time figuring out how to get out.  The cones were much longer than your picture and ended up in center of cage and only one entrance.

• Like 1