Im looking at draw odds and quality of units to kill a solid coues buck, nothing special just a good buck as it will be my first big game animal. Ive hunted a lot helping out outfitters and im capaple of glassing all day and hunting hard. I also have the best optics and equipment in the game. Im thinking about an early october unit 33 coues tag as i have 4 points and it is a guaranteed draw. Anyone hunt there? What is your opinion on the unit and quality?

Not a guaranteed tag at 4 points. Just like basically all the southern units, there are good bucks to be found if you’re willing to put in the work

sorry I have 5 points and if you look at the bonus point report for 2023 every resident that put in with 5 points as their first choice drew the tag. Ill be packing in away from all the roads and its for the very first october tag which there are only 150 tags so there shouldnt be much pressure in such a big unit.

I think it’s a very likely tag to draw with 5 pts but the way things are going it might not be guaranteed… just thought I’d point that out. Other than that it sounds like you answered your own questions! Only bad thing about that hunt is about 2/3 years it’s still hot out. 33 is as good a unit as any

Wow, after all those years of decimating the unit 33 population they actually have hunts with 150 tags?  They used to have several hunts of 750+ tags each.  Maybe in a few years it will become a premiere unit again!  Buy a lion tag!

16 minutes ago, WhtMtnHunter said:

Wow, after all those years of decimating the unit 33 population they actually have hunts with 150 tags?  They used to have several hunts of 750+ tags each.  Maybe in a few years it will become a premiere unit again!  Buy a lion tag!

yup, out of the 5 hunts total there are 1015 tags, at least there were last year. But which is also why Im putting in for the very first hunt, to scout and pattern them before the pressure moves in.