Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

a HUGE thanks for the help on the hunt!!

I picked up a DIY hunt on a great ranch down Mexico way and headed down there on Thurs of last week.. got back last night..

We hunted HARD everyday, all day on the ranch, but I ended up coming home sans buck (this trip!!).. The weather played havoc with us pretty much the entire time!! One day rain, the next, wind, the next, heat, etc....

On Sat, within 30 min of first light, Hector glassed a buck up on a saddle at over a mile and a half away.. All we could tell was that he was carrying his mass well and he looked decent from the distance.. We made a go at it, and we made our way over to where we last had the buck. We came out over the top. and found they had moved another mile or so down the canyon.. We then made our next move and got up to a hilltop to watch them and see if we could cut them off. Once we got to the top of the hill, we quickly found them. There were several bucks and a few does in the group. At first, we couldnt find the buck we had glassed.. After about 5 min. I finally found him. He was getting ready to bed. And when he finally did, we could finally get a good look at hm. And WOW.. We had all the time in the world finally to properly judge him. As we gauked at him thru the binos, we were crunching numbers and we finally settled on a conservative score of between 118 and 120 typical!! He was the biggest coues Ive ever seen thru my binos.. He was a clean 3X3 with SUPER mass the he carried out to the tips of every point and all the way out to the tips of his beams. He was a beast.. The other buck he was running with was a 95" to 100" 3X3 as well.. But he couldn't hold a candle to his compadre!! We watched them bed and then spent a good while watching him stretch out and enjoy the sun, scratch his back with his antlers, thrash a small tree, and chase a doe around for a bit.. All this and we just weren't in the right position for a stalk from where we watched all this unfold!! It was torture!!

Long story short, he couldn't resisist a still hot doe leaving without him and she slowly took him out of our view around the backside of an oak and ocotillo choked hillside. We tried to make a "what if" plan, but we never picked him back up.. We stayed in the area till dark 30 that day. Next morning we were right back on the same hill, but wind was restricting deer movement, and we didnt pick him back up. Packed it up and headed home with a super coues buck etched into my brain!!!

I just wanted to thank Chef for all his help with the hunt.. Its a DYI hunt and it was great to have a buddy there helping out just for the love of coues deer hunting!! Thanks a milion buddy! Couldnt have done it without ya!

BTW, I think I'm going to head back down this weekend and give it one more go on that beast.. He's haunting me!

Good Luck Scotty. I'll be heading down to MX this weekend as well for my third and final trip to our do-it-yourself ranch. SunDevil is down on the ranch right now and Cramerhunts tagged out last week - need to encourage him to post pics and Story.

Again, best of luck!

Hey, Good Luck on finding the big guy... the sight of him must be buzzing the brain continuously.

It's been on my mind since we last saw him. Biggest coues I've ever had through my binos. I'm looking forward to seeing him hit the dirt.

Scott, it was a pleasure bud. I like your style, ain't scared to try for the smack down & put the miles in.

Good luck on finding the big guy and getting a shot at him! I know you can do it and look forward to the pictures when you get back.

I missed a buck that sounds real similar to the buck you're after on our DIY ranch in December and he's all I could think about until I got back down there in January. I wasn't able to find him again....at least not with all of his horns still intact but I know the feeling well. As Scout'em said I did take a nice buck and strectched the hunt out until the end so it was well worth it. I'll post pics and story when I can.

Good luck,

Phil

You guys are right about that for sure!!! He has been on my mind ever since we had first saw him thru the binos... All I'm thinking about is how I'm gonna get a shot on him.. He is well worth the effort to go back and give it another go!!

I hope I can punch a hole thru him really soon!

Thanks guys. I hope to share the pics of him with you really soon!