Outdoorlife602

New Mexico - 16A Rifle Tag

16 minutes ago, idgaf said:

From my experience,  they usually miss the 360 bull the guide has spent two months scouting and then spend the next 5 days in not the quite tight position,  then they will kill anything.  

Haha this is the most likely case. I don't think anyone goes into a 16A bull hunt with aspirations of a 300 bull. Any good guide should have something bigger than that found before the hunt. Plus, trail cams are still allowed in NM so I'm sure every tank in that unit will have 50 cams on it. The guides I've spoken to have been pretty honest and said to expect 320-350 bulls with a decent chance of finding one bigger. Obviously all dependent on moisture and antler growth. 

43 minutes ago, Outdoorlife602 said:

Haha this is the most likely case. I don't think anyone goes into a 16A bull hunt with aspirations of a 300 bull. Any good guide should have something bigger than that found before the hunt. Plus, trail cams are still allowed in NM so I'm sure every tank in that unit will have 50 cams on it. The guides I've spoken to have been pretty honest and said to expect 320-350 bulls with a decent chance of finding one bigger. Obviously all dependent on moisture and antler growth. 

Hahaha.  I subtracted the 15" of Instagram points and another 10" because most hunters don't know what they are looking at. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2024 at 2:21 PM, Yote_Slayer said:

Congrats on a great unit. I know the unit very well and the big bulls will be in nasty remote canyons on the 2nd hunt.  Good luck!

Thanks Yote! Its been funny how opinions of this hunt vary so much.... half say bulls are everywhere and you just need to pick a hill and shoot an elk while others say it's a hard hunt and bulls are really hard to find. I guess it probably changes by year based on weather and other factors. 

Definitely not bulls everywhere, especially after a couple archery hunts. I’m in that unit all the time and know exactly what the potential is and can be. Send me a pm if you want to chat more.

• Like 1