huntswnm

Javelina Question

Ok, so I am hunting javelinas for the first time this year here in NM. I have been able to get into some, just not close enough for a shot with my bow. The next day I am able to go out the weather is calling for possibility of snow with a high aroun 38. It should be a little warmer at the lower elevation where I am planning on going........but I am not sure if the trip will be worth it with weather like that. What is your opinion about hunting Javelinas in this kind of weather? Any tips?

jeff

Some of the best hunting can be done by tracking fresh sign in the snow--if the weather will not cause you any problems and you know where they are i say go out and find some tracks and sneak in on them!

Jeff, more often than not they are holed up in this kind of weather. Look for them in narrow canyons with small caves that face away from the wind. I've got some behind my house that if I went out right now would probably find some pigs holed up in them.

Thanks guys, the weather did come but the schools got cancelled so I ended up staying home with my kids yesterday instead. I have tomorrow through Sunday to try to send a Cedar shaft through one of these things so.....................

jeff

i have pictures of javis feeding all night in deep snow while snowing. I HAVE BLOWN MANY CHANCES WALKING IN AT FIRST LIGHT. the people who go out at 9:30 may shoot pigs. i have killed many at noon, but this i guarantee, opportunity is there at sunrise in good weather or BAAAAAAAD. LEARN TO SPEAK THEIR LANGUAGE, IT WORKS ALMOST EVERY TIME GOOD OR BAD WEATHER.