Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Salt licks and deer

I watched several deer the other day fight over access to eat some dirt. It was an area inside a cattle trap. The ground was bare and I believe it is a place where they used to put salt blocks out. So even thought the blocks weren't there anymore, the ground was loaded with minerals.

When I first saw the deer, there were two nice bucks in velvet. But they ran off and then two does ran in. It was like they were anxiously waiting for access to the salt lick but the bucks had kept them away. They would chase each other around to decide who got access first. Then a yearling doe came out and they chased her off. But she kept coming back and eventually one of the adult does left and so the yearling was allowed access.

What was really unusual was that the does let me walk with 10 yards of them even though I was in full view and they obviously saw me. I snapped a few photos, which I have inserted into this message.

I guess their drive for salt overshadowed their fear of people. It was a fun encounter. I wish I had gotten photos of the bucks!

Anyone else had similar encounters? All these deer were pretty skinny, as you can see in the photos.

Amanda

doechewdirt1aw.jpg

doeheadonw.jpg

doepinkearw.jpg

10 yards! That's unusual. I wonder if their reaction would have been different if you were wearing camouflage. They don't look as thin through the ribs and hips as some elk or cattle I've seen during the drought years.

Doug / Red Rabbit

I've seen some funny things at salt licks - with mule deer. I watched a doe lick the salt block and then pick up her head and wave her tongue around her nose and mouth like a dog eating peanut butter as if her salivary glands were about to explode. And then do the same thing again and again. I have also seen another doe stand there and pick up one small rock after another (they must have been salty) and chew and swallow them! I think deer can become a bit addicted to salt (especially in drought years). I know more than a few deer have been taken by hunters while enjoying their salt.

Mike