Sign in to follow this  
RossOutdoors05

MONSTER!

I shot the Monster on Thursday. Arrow 28 1/2 3-49 ACC draw length 29 inches. Wow talk about a screamer. At 70lbs I did 315fps. At 65lbs 303fps. I also shot the Rezen 65lbs 299fps. 70lb with a different arrow an Easton Maxium 315fps. Now just have to wait until the production bows arrive to take one home.

Judging from what you are telling me your arrow is 30-40 gains lighter than mine. For every 6 gains lighter you gain 1fbs. Plus you don't mention your field tip I shoot 100grain. Both bows are quality products I'm just partial to Mathews.

FYI

Gold tip 5575 are 8.2 grains per inch

Easton acc are 8.83 grains per inch.

29 inch arrow = 18.27 grians heavier

mathews monster's IBo is rated at 350 FPS

IBO = total arrow weight (350 grains)

draw weight = 70 lbs

draw length = 30

ACC's also deliver more energy and deeper pentration... I hate how easy they are to ruin, but I love how they kill!! ;) I, too, shoot the 3-49's.....

Adam,

How smooth is the Monster?? Zero hand shock?????? Is it critical????

FYI

Gold tip 5575 are 8.2 grains per inch

Easton acc are 8.83 grains per inch.

29 inch arrow = 18.27 grians heavier

mathews monster's IBo is rated at 350 FPS

IBO = total arrow weight (350 grains)

draw weight = 70 lbs

draw length = 30

Unfortunately it's closer to 30.5". Yeah, even more deceiving huh?

ACC's also deliver more energy and deeper pentration... I hate how easy they are to ruin, but I love how they kill!! ;) I, too, shoot the 3-49's.....

Adam,

How smooth is the Monster?? Zero hand shock?????? Is it critical????

i shoot the x-force right now and i think the monster a little smoother. i havent felt any hand shock in it. we had about 10 guys shoot it yesterday and only one said they felt hand shock.

Marketing is a big part of the bow market today. Buy what feels good, tune it and practice often - you'll want to shoot more often and probably become a better shot if you like it, it feels right, and it shoots good.

I was shooting 314 fps in 2002 with my Hoyt supertec cam and 1/2 (330 ibo) at 70 lbs., 29 in draw. Carbon express 3d selects 8.2 gpi. The point is that I think its funny how speed is the big selling point now, and the truth is that most of these bows in the last few years are not going to get much faster or have much less hand shock, its just a big marketing rumble to sell more bows. I also have a PSE X-force and its just a hair faster, but not much, and the truth is I still prefer that Hoyt.

Also, I don't quite agree with Gino's Statement

ACC's also deliver more energy and deeper pentration...

I think this is marketing at work, although I don't think its intentional. Arrow's delivery energy is primarily a function of mass and speed only, where vibrational loss (bending stiffness) is minimal during impact for arrows of similar spine. Penetration is different story, mainly a function of cutting sharpness and surface area of the broadhead, again where smooth arrow shafts are typically irrelevant as long as they are the same diameter. In other words, the type of shaft has little effect on penetration depth or the energy.

Of course other little factors can contribute when hunting, like your confidence in the arrow splintering or shattering if you hit that bull's shoulder bone, which is exactly where the ACC's might be more of a confidence booster. Maybe this is what he means by penetration and delivering energy, but I see it as a shaft failure issue when this happens.