DJDcoues

Archery Equipment

I wanted to start this topic because its not only a fact that everyone is waiting on results for that famous Arizona archery bull tag, but because I haven't got to hunt Elk with my bow yet and I'm kinda curious what the pros on here have to say about what would be best to use. Arrows, Broadheads, etc. I have a Matthews Legacy bow, shooting about 65lbs and about 305fps with what I use for Deer. What would complete the package for Elk without sacraficing much speed?

If you shoot the bow well don't change anything, thats just me

I Agree

what broadheads??...elk bone is TOUGH!! heads i use for deer are not the same as for elk.perfect hits no big deal elk bobe involved..BIG DEAL.

azmeat

dan,

you also did not mention the weight of your arrows? this is very important. ;) for all around i try to come in between 400-450 grains for elk no less than 400 grains.and i am a big fan of cut on impact heads..nasty sharp no gimics just 2 holes...in and out ;)

azmeat

dan,

you also did not mention the weight of your arrows? this is very important. ;) for all around i try to come in between 400-450 grains for elk no less than 400 grains.and i am a big fan of cut on impact heads..nasty sharp no gimics just 2 holes...in and out ;)

azmeat

My arrows are right at 400 grains. I shoot Gold Tip 4350s with 100gr. mechanical. With all that heavy bone though a mechanical can't be all that great can it? I've seen people use them before and had success, but it makes me a little warry. Been looking at the crimson talons. Which one has been the most productive for you?

some people like the mechanicals, but as for me I will never shoot another mechanical in my life when it comes to elk hunting.....I lost a bull of a lifetime because of one!

If you shoot the bow well don't change anything, thats just me

I Agree

I totally agree with you guys. If it ain't broke don't fix it!! It's just that when you start changing variables on your ammunition to suit a particular hunting situation, your performance usually goes one way or the other. From my experience anyway. ;)

dj,

that is the lightest i would go for elk.i might step up to a 125 grain head if they fly good with your shafts which they should. mechanicals have come along way and are awesome. grim reapers are just plain nasty and have taken tons of game as have many others. the way i think about elk and heavy boned animals is: i don't want the broadhead to do anything but go in and out and not expend any energy on "opening up" or "plowing" just 2 holes in and out.one big thing alot of guys don't do is shoot their broadheads.after i sight my bow in with feild points i only shoot the broadheads i am going to hunt with.(not at 3d shoots of course) but their is no replacement for practice.

here are some of my favorite elk buster broadheads in no particular order

slick trick razor trick

shuttle t-lock

muzzy phantom

grin reaper hades (awesome only fixed blade broadhead that is sharpened on the back edge of the blade)

steel force-phat head and titanium bullet

g5 montec/striker

and the new f-15 by carbon express looks um..nasty

nap hellrazor

my 2 elk killing cents

some people like the mechanicals, but as for me I will never shoot another mechanical in my life when it comes to elk hunting.....I lost a bull of a lifetime because of one!

That sucks man!! Those chances are usually few and far between. One of my buddies had a similar experience on a 6x6, figured it would have scored in the 370 range, It got away on a mechanical, but in the same trip they also harvested 2 others with the same broadhead, so go figure. Guess you can't hardly go wrong with a fixed blade if you can keep the suckers from plaining. I haven't seen one that doesn't yet, but I haven't shot all of them either.

dj,

that is the lightest i would go for elk.i might step up to a 125 grain head if they fly good with your shafts which they should. mechanicals have come along way and are awesome. grim reapers are just plain nasty and have taken tons of game as have many others. the way i think about elk and heavy boned animals is: i don't want the broadhead to do anything but go in and out and not expend any energy on "opening up" or "plowing" just 2 holes in and out.one big thing alot of guys don't do is shoot their broadheads.after i sight my bow in with feild points i only shoot the broadheads i am going to hunt with.(not at 3d shoots of course) but their is no replacement for practice.

here are some of my favorite elk buster broadheads in no particular order

slick trick razor trick

shuttle t-lock

muzzy phantom

grin reaper hades (awesome only fixed blade broadhead that is sharpened on the back edge of the blade)

steel force-phat head and titanium bullet

g5 montec/striker

and the new f-15 by carbon express looks um..nasty

nap hellrazor

my 2 elk killing cents

Awsome man thanks for the insight!!!! ;)

O.K. here's an alternative that works for me.

Pronghorn 60" three piece 54# takedown longbow

29" 2016 Easton Legacy arrows, 3ea. 5.5" shield cut feathers

Magnus 125 grain 2 bladed broadhead

Elk, Javelina, Rabbits etc. think the above should be outlawed!

Cedar arrows weighing about 395 gr. when I get them. After fletching cresting staining sealing 410 gr +/- then add a 165 gr. flat blade Stos BH......razer sharp. Pulling 60 @ 28". Same for the Whitetail same for the Rio same for the Wapiti. :ph34r: