Sign in to follow this  
youngbuck

Odd Turkey sighting

I was driving from saguaro lake to payson on th 87 early tuesday morning and saw one single hen at mesquite wash. Thats the first low spot north of "cow rock". Ive seen birds a little higher elevation than this but in a different part of the state. I also know that these birds got loose from a ranch and reproduced. Has anyone else seen any turkers arund mesquite wash? I thought i was crazy but i got a good look and it was a turkey.

I was driving from saguaro lake to payson on th 87 early tuesday morning and saw one single hen at mesquite wash. Thats the first low spot north of "cow rock". Ive seen birds a little higher elevation than this but in a different part of the state. I also know that these birds got loose from a ranch and reproduced. Has anyone else seen any turkers arund mesquite wash? I thought i was crazy but i got a good look and it was a turkey.

I've not seen them there, but in years past I saw turkeys along the San Pedro River north of Benson, as well as in the ocotillo zone on the northern slope of the Catalina Mountains near the Burney Mines.

Bill Quimby

I've seen them at the bottom of the Grand Canyon by Phantom Ranch. They are almost tame.