Sign in to follow this  
vegasjeep

camping in northern AZ UNIT 8 williams area

I have never spent much time in northern Az camping wise and want to get out for the weekend. Where around cottonwood, prescott, sedona, flagstaff can I go hunt, relax, shot guns, and have a great time? anyone with pics? directions? anything?

UPDATE* my bro in law was drawn for elk in unit 8. I was going to go browse around the area and do some early scouting and seeing if i see good areas.

anyone know any good places to go check out.?

South of Williams off the Perkinsville Road would be nice. Trout fishing at Dogtown, JD, or Whitehorse. Plenty of NF to camp in the pines away from a campground.

Sedona and Cottonwood will be warm/hot during the day.

South of Prescott in the pines. Must camp in a campground or dispersed campsite. Plenty of them out Senator Highway or Walker Rd . Fishing at lynx lake or goldwater lake

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/recreatio...ohv/index.shtml

can I shoot guns in the area?

i updated my original post!!!! unit 8 is where i want to camp for elk hunting season scouting... any recommendations?

There's elk wandering around all over that unit. I'd camp around White Horse Lake or Dogtown. Drive it early and late and you'll get a pretty good feel. Course it'll be different when the season rolls around. EBB

There's elk wandering around all over that unit. I'd camp around White Horse Lake or Dogtown. Drive it early and late and you'll get a pretty good feel. Course it'll be different when the season rolls around. EBB

Ya, I know it will be different as far as where elk are located but getting a good lay of the land would be nice too. My girlfriend and I have the weekend off which is rare and decided to go do something. We were thinking magic mountain, something like that but then told me to decide HAHAHA

SO I told her lets go camping as I had not been in awhile. She laughed and said sounds great!! I told her the area and she said that is pretty and then she caught on on what I was doing. LOL

We will have ablast. If anyone wants to come out, show me around, or hang out let me know. We will probably do what EBB suggested and go up around white horse lake or dogtown.

Take the road south on Devil Dog Road there are pleanty of campspots also that road will take you Coleman lake out to Whitehorse. I saw some good size elk in Devil Canyon west of fr.41...Chris

I have never spent much time in northern Az camping wise and want to get out for the weekend. Where around cottonwood, prescott, sedona, flagstaff can I go hunt, relax, shot guns, and have a great time? anyone with pics? directions? anything?

There are not many places to shoot and I suggest not doing so. The area around Whitehorse is extremely popular for campers, day use, fisherman, basically there are a lot of people around on weekends, plus being the last weekend of turkey season there will be even more people out there (including me)... :unsure:

Got all the PMs! thanks for all the tips ad infos. Ill bring the camera and hopefully get some good pics while out there.