Sign in to follow this  
swcouesfanatic

To hunt, or not to hunt in Mexico

I am only writing this post, to share the experience I had last January, and to further educate others who are considering going to Mexico to hunt our beloved Coues. I finally broke down and decided to hunt in Mexico in January of 2008. My experience was awful to put it lightly. Now, to my own demise, I did not research the American guide, nor the Mexican outfitter. I did not, because I was going with friends that supposedly knew these people for years, and had hunted with them before. What they did not tell me, is they had been disappointed before by these very people. Everything was fine as far as getting through the border, gun checks, etc. But, after that it was a joke. We were supposedly scheduled to stay in a hotel in Magdalena. Half way to our destination, the outfitter pulls over on the highway and tells us the hotel never reserved our rooms. We ended up staying in a small trucking town, roughly 30 miles of mountainous ascent to get to our hunting area. It was a joke to say the least, but that was only the beginning. We were told that the ranch had not been hunted for 3 years. On the first day when we pulled in on quads, any whitetails within mile were running for the highest point they could find. Hmmmm, I wondered, could this be true? At the end of the first day we realized that the outfitter had never given us our tags. When we finally reached him on satellite phone, we were told he was in Hermosillo, and would be back before we departed; NOT TO WORRY. I had shot a solid 95" buck, as our original 6 hunters had declined to 4 with one guy missing the trip, and the next going home sick the first day. We ended up down to 2 guys by the third morning, as one gentleman's son was in the emergency room, and 1 other guy left to drive him back. This is when the fun really begins. Our 2 buddies had left my truck door open, on the side of a mountain, 30 miles from any real civilization. After several hours the 3rd night, of driving on the craziest highway in the Western world, with 1000' drop-offs off the unguarded edge of the mountain highway, and almost getting run over by insane bus drivers and truckers, we were able to get help from the ranchers to jump-start my truck and get us back to our motel/dump for the night. That's when it got better than I could imagine. When we pulled into the motel parking area, we were assaulted by 15 Mexican Federal Agents. Not only did they physically rip us out of the truck, and rough us up at gun point, they also stole valuable gear. Thank God, we had our paperwork for our weapons and passports; oh yeah, our buddies that left last also took all of the paperwork on the trailer and four 4-wheelers I was pulling. You can imagine the headaches. As if that wasn't bad enough, we had a 2nd buck down the 4th morning, and then found out that Carlos, our outfitter, wasn't going to be able to meet us any time soon. Basically, we packed up, headed for the border, and left both bucks at the ranch. The story goes on, but that's enough. The point I am getting to is, do your homework, do some more homework, and really do your homework. Find trustworthy sources, and depend on sites like this one to do it right. I will definitely go back some day, but for now the sour taste in my mouth still lingers.

Congratulations on shooting a nice buck. Sounds like you had a world class adventure.

Unfurtunally bad people are every were. But you are right, one must do his/her home work and check the outfitters first.

Was this a first time bad experience for your friends also? They did not had any problems before? I can understand you went with this outfitter becuase you trusted your friends.

Was the name of the outfitter and his outfitt bussiness? Was this a self guided or a fully guided hunt?

Ernesto C.

P.S. If any of you my fellow members have any problems with the federales or state police in Mexico and if you know or are close to a military check point or a Army Depot go with them and explain them the problem. They will get your stuff back and will put some a......... in their place. Believe me, I'm talking from experience.

Wow really sorry to hear that. I have been down to old Mexico the last three years and have had basically the opposite experience. I have heard tales such as yours before and I am very sorry to hear that. I'm sure that many on this site will attest to researching the outfitter. I have always had my mind put at ease by constant communication with my outfitter. He spends roughly 6-8 weeks on the ranch before the trip and usually starting in the summer. It's important to have realistic expectations and I feel that an outfitter should be willing to do that. I had not only a mental picture of what to expect but dozens of pictures of the ranch, the country and the deer!

I guess that's why I have had so much fun and success. We do not hunt the same ranches, but when I get to the new one, I feel like I have already been there because of the constant communication. My favorite quote from last year before the trip, because he knew the caliber of bucks. "If you shoot a 95" buck you cannot come back. The little ones need to grow Joe"

Again, sorry to hear about your terrible experience. There are outfitters who can ensure your money is well spent is my .02

That sucks!I have went the last 3 years with Jim Reynolds and had a BLAST!!!!!!!!Good food and Big bucks.Going again next year.

sw-

I am sorry you guys had a bad experience in Sonora. I have found a good rule of thumb is to never stay in any town longer than you have to and to make sure you are hunting a ranch that you can lock the gate behind you and stay right on the ranch. IMO, once you lock the gate the odds of anything bad happening go down dramatically. I would recommend to always stay on the property you are hunting. There are some great outfitters as sponsors of this site you might check them out. I just went to Mexico with Brad Fulk of Rio Sonora Outfitters turkey hunting and felt completely safe. Take care and good hunting!

That sucks!I have went the last 3 years with Jim Reynolds and had a BLAST!!!!!!!!Good food and Big bucks.Going again next year.

Second that Hunting with Jim is a Blast Great food lots of antler to be seen

Man that sucks!! <_< That is crap! :angry: ....sorry that you guys had such a crappy trip, but congrats on the buck you shot, I hope you took lots of pics! Did the "outfitter" ever tag and ship you your deer? I guess a guy would have to re-evaluate his Circle of Friends after a referal/"hook-up" like that! <_< We got jacked like that on my first trip to AK so I completely feel your pain! However all you can do is is find the silver lining... I only remember the best parts of that trip now, years later.... the hardest part was thinking..."Dang, if I had only paid $500 more dollars for that other outfitter!" :( Live and learn my friend! ;) And I bet on the next trip you will do it ALL right! I know I did! ;) There are some really good and reputable guys that guide/outfit down there and two of them have already been mentioned in this thread.... remember.... you most often get what you pay for! ;) Besides there are just as good quality here in the States as old Mex has.... you just don't have much competion behind those locked gates down there... that is the biggest plus of Mexico hunts, IMO, limited competion. Honestly, I'd rather kill one right here! ;) :D

Best of luck this year!

We still need the name of the outfitter and his outfitt bussines. Who is it? Carlos ................ what's his las name?

We (here at cwt.com) do not want to book a hunt with somebody that is going to take our $$ away and leave us in the middle of no where.

Where was this? Sonora? or where exactly?

Ernesto C

Besides there are just as good quality here in the States as old Mex has.... you just don't have much competion behind those locked gates down there... that is the biggest plus of Mexico hunts, IMO, limited competion. Honestly, I'd rather kill one right here! ;) :D

I could not agree more!!!!!!!!! For my money I will stay right here in the states. There are quality bucks right here at home. Like you said there is more competition for them but is that a bad thing? The question you have to ask yourself is, is it worth taking a chance with all the crooked government, drugs, law enforcement in Mexico. I know there are some really good outfitters that offer top quality hunts and service in Mexico. My worries are not with these good people. My concerns are with the other factors that can arise. Many people have gone and have had no problem. But for me its not worth the risk. There are great bucks right here in Arizona, and with a little hard work you can put yourself in a good situation, with a lot less worry and not as much money.

OK, I have been asked a few times for the name of the Outfitter, and I have struggled with this one. I will tell you that the name of our contact we dealt with is Carlos Robles. He has a contact here in Arizona named Brett(not giving the last name) that books the hunts for Carlos. The general area of their ranches is in Magdalena. I don't want to disclose any other information, as I only posted this to make interested hunters that are considering going to Mexico, to do their homework, get solid references, and be aware of the risks they face. As for hunting quality bucks in Arizona, I agree, and I believe you can harvest as big and quality of Coues right here. But, I have also heard of many wonderful experiences in Mexico as well. There are many quality guides and outfitters to select from that never have any issues.