Sign in to follow this  
synper100

bucks in velvet

Hey all, just curious about taking a buck in velvet. I've been watching a real stud of a buck this year and if i am fortunate to harvest this buck in August, what kind of care does the velvet need? I'm sure some of you guys and gals have taken bucks in the velvet. Are they full grown in late August-early Sept.? Any input would help. Thanks.

It all depends on time and maturing usually if the buck has already started to grow big antlers this early of the year, then that boosts your chances on killing this sucker at full growth during august and september. So Yes it will be at its full growth during august.

My only suggestion is that WHEN you kill this buck is to preserve the velvet fast. The blood under that skin goes bad fast and stinks to high HE!!. I shot a buck up in Utah a few years ago and had it sit for a few days before the drive back and the smell could peel paint off the walls. :blink:

I was told that you can inject mineral spirits under the skin to dry up that blood. I have also put them in the freezer for about a year and freeze dried them. Good Luck!

There will always be shrinkage if you shoot them in velvet unless you are able to get them right before they scrape it off......Just something to consider if you are concerned about their size. Count on them shrinking 5 to 10 percent.

Becker

back in the mid 80's my ol man killed a muley in Utah in velvet. froze it for a year, and even to this day the fur still looks good. i used to get yelled at for keepin the chest freezer open to long during that year....lol...but Im sure they have a better method these days.

I have injected kerosene into the tops of antlers to push blood out the bottom.

Done it twice with little bucks and they turned out great, both where injected within a day of harvest.

Vandykes makes a formaldehyde solution called "preservzit" or something, anyways you can order it from them and then just use a syringe to inject into the veins that run through along the antler velvet. That keeps them well, and so does putting them in the freezer, but you have to wait alot longer if you go that route.