Sign in to follow this  
huntcoues

Day and a half of shed hunting in AZ

First picture is the findings for the half a day we had to cut it short due to rain and time. 13 was the count for the half day

post-2612-1244041568_thumb.jpg

second picture is the half day findings in the back of the truck.

post-2612-1244041593_thumb.jpg

The third picture is the biggest pair of sheds for the half day

post-2612-1244041618_thumb.jpg

The next pictures are the full day of looking for sheds. Pictures are not that great but you can kind of get an idea we found 31 on the day leaving smaller sheds that were glassed up and passed on due to us thinking we may die geeting to them.

post-2612-1244041634_thumb.jpg

post-2612-1244041649_thumb.jpg

Now that is what we call the "motherload." Nice work. I bet your packs were a little on the heavy side. Be very quiet about your spot there. ;)

Like a kid in a candy store, I bet you were, well done guys!!! Were they all foud in a small area , " honeyhole" ? doesnt look like you had to pack um far?. Is that a highway bridge in the background of that pic? If so that's good a hole that close to the roads. Looks like unit 28/31/ san carlos line country? my best guess.

Details man!! Ohh map with an x on it 2!! HA!

Another well done on a SERIOUS load of horns guys!! Thanks for postin. I don't care what they say bout ya! jk

Ohh yeah, the more you find, Usually the less response you get on here. Don't feel bad, It's the norm....... I can see your up there with the best of umm.... Serious sheddin there

Awesome

AZantlerhead

Yes all the sheds were found with in a few miles of each. All being in a very steep and very rough canyon, most would call us stupid for getting to the bottom. There are not to many people that do believe us but we did find them all like i had said in the post in a day and a half. The picture with the bigger set the one that has the lower country in the back ground, that picture was just taken back at home in tucson. i should of taken the picure up north just didnt think to much about it until i did get home.

AZantlerhead

Yes all the sheds were found with in a few miles of each. All being in a very steep and very rough canyon, most would call us stupid for getting to the bottom. There are not to many people that do believe us but we did find them all like i had said in the post in a day and a half. The picture with the bigger set the one that has the lower country in the back ground, that picture was just taken back at home in tucson. i should of taken the picure up north just didnt think to much about it until i did get home.

Sounds like a sweet hole!!! Funny how those rugged places where people fear to go can hold the most horns, Makes sense don't it :huh: . Glad to know you guys had a mix of blood sweat and antlers as most the "motherload trips ive seen and done include . I was doubting there were that many by the road, but you never know. Grong once said you get out what you put in, and I could write a book on all the theories or tactics I've heard from AZantlerenthusiast. Also i've developed a couple of my own strategies. So how long have you known of the canyon and it's treasures? Don't mean to pry but these kinda posts are my favorite. It's why I shed hunt. Knowing theres that many horns in places. I would be the last to doubt your trip and the number of horns by the way, I know theres probly another 50 in that canyon ;) Thanks for the reply

Sounds like a sweet hole!!! Funny how those rugged places where people fear to go can hold the most horns, Makes sense don't it . Glad to know you guys had a mix of blood sweat and antlers as most the "motherload trips ive seen and done include . I was doubting there were that many by the road, but you never know. Grong once said you get out what you put in, and I could write a book on all the theories or tactics I've heard from AZantlerenthusiast. Also i've developed a couple of my own strategies. So how long have you known of the canyon and it's treasures? Don't mean to pry but these kinda posts are my favorite. It's why I shed hunt. Knowing theres that many horns in places. I would be the last to doubt your trip and the number of horns by the way, I know theres probly another 50 in that canyon Thanks for the reply

Well i have known about this canyon for a few years now, but only resently did i have the chance to get in there and look for sheds. I honestly did not know i would find this many sheds, but soon found out that it was real productive to glass for any type of bone then have somone stay back on the rim and talk you in on the radios. If i didn't have a radio man I prob would of only got about half the amount we did, once you hit the bottom you are pretty much lost in all the thick shrub. And if i hadn't seen if for my own eyes i would of never thought elk would get into some of the country they do. We would glass up sheds that seemed akmost impossible to get to without ropes. It pretty much looked like sheep country. I am sure there are many more, there would be times where we would come back with a pack full of only right or left sides. I am hoping to get back in there this weekened and hit the rest of the canyon, parts of the canyon that we still havent had a chance to look in. so hopefully ill have some more pictures to post and this time ill make sure to get better pictures and not cell phone pics.

Very neat! Some of the hardest work you may ever do but fun at the same time.

I've been on many slopes where you are crawling on all fours just about because of how steep it is. I can appreciate the work and effort that is represented by the pictures. Its always amazing to me how easily most animals can navigate these slopes with relative ease.

Most impressive post, thanks for sharing.

That is an awesome couple days of sheddin. Thanks for sharing and good luck on the rest of them horns.

Aaron

Finally got a chance to go back and look at the little canyon we had not yet looked at and ended up with nine more in about a half day.

Just a few more pictures back at home of some the the sheds found in the canyon!

post-2612-1245271639_thumb.jpg

post-2612-1245271840_thumb.jpg

post-2612-1245272005_thumb.jpg

Boy I hope that wasn't my favorite canyon :o :lol: jk, theres hundreds of " canyons" in every unit. I've got a place like that we've not hit in two years. Hopefully no ones found it still and it will be recharged with more bone somewhat. How deep? steep is the canyon? I'd keep goin back and back to that area. We brought out 12 a piece per day for many trips and was actually a 30 horn trip the last weekend. Bone mines :) also a couple elk racks and a few nice coues and muley skulls.Steep and rugged do not describe it fully though. but at least you can tackle the area in a day wich is nice sometimes. or stay two days and find just as many, usually. Probly still a crap load we missed, that's a truly good area. Sounds like you found one.

Places that rugged with that many to be found can be pretty consistant as far as sheds/ herds. Also blisters and rattlers.

Keep at it! really digin the post :blink: as i've not been shedin in two months now :( .. Way to go get umm!!

Awesome pile of horns! Thanks for posting the pics for us.

Phil