Sign in to follow this  
king4wd

Another .270 Winchester question

Got some load data from a buddy and is follows:

H4831SC Powder at 59 grains

Nosler 130 gr accubond

Desired speed is around 3050 FPS

When I went out today I had 3 loaded with 59 grains, 3 with 58.5 grains and 3 with 58 grains. I started with the lowest charge and got 3174 FPS.

It seemed way to fast for that gun (Remmington 700) and I've got to crank it down some. Only problem is nosler doesn't have data on their website for the H4831sc powder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone has a COL for the 130gr accubonds that would help some too. Right now the best I've found is 3.340

Most likely there was just something happening to the crono today, sunlight, clouds, distance, blast something. I once went out to the range with my 270 and it read 3250 exactly, then another 3250, exactly, then I got an error, then 3250. It was cloudy or I had it too close to the muzzle, something. I quit that gun for the day and tried it again another with the rest of the loads, 2980 to 3000, never had a strange reading again, probably aliens.

I just don't think 3174 is doable with a full case of H4831 in a 22 in tube, but if you try it again take precautions. 60 grs will be compressed and normally just under max pressure.

Kent

The fifth edition of the Nosler Manual shows 59.0 grains of H4831sc as a maximum load and a muzzle velocity of 3,124 fps. Every rifle is different, so most of us depend on the chronograph to help us decide when enough powder is enough. I would say that whatever powder weight gives you around 3,100 fps is where you should make only minimal changes in powder charge and start trying to seat your bullets various distances from the lands,etc.