Sign in to follow this  
catclaw

wringing out the Claw

I have been using the Claw this summer for a variety of shooting endeavors. I first used it for Prairie dogs and while not a bench rest, it made up for some of the deficiency in the ability to pan at will. We made shots out to 300 yds while standing or sitting on a lawn chair. I made shots to 450 by going lower to get out of the wind. I was dialing about 5 moa of wind into my 450 yd shots so they were hard enough anyway.

I used it last week for the scouts. They were shooting a gong at 250 yds and most of them had never shot a rifle before. One had never shot anything but a BB gun before he shot his gong! Really is nice for smaller shooter that haven't developed that seek and destroy mentality yet!

I took it out this morning with Schmitty and we shot a gong at 500 yds. I hit the gong with my new load and then we painted it up and I tried the same load but with a different primer. Using my 260 Rem mountain rifle and a 2.5-8x scope with a B&C reticle, I shot a <3" group. I had to use my 450 yd hash as the rifle was dialed in for 130 grain Accubonds. This bullet was lighter and must shoot a little flatter at 500.

Schmitty shot his 6.5-06 imp with 130 Bergers. It made a deeper divot in the steel for sure! You can see his deeper holes right below and to the right of my lower right shot.

Dennis

post-131-1247609375_thumb.jpg

post-131-1247609391_thumb.jpg

post-131-1247609817_thumb.jpg

I have been using 3 different ones. In the photo it is a bogen aluminum tripod (I can't remember the number) and the head is the take-off from my Velbon El Carmange. I have used my Bogen ball head and the Bogen 701HDV. The only way to go is with the 701; it has a much better plate system and in my mind, makes the whole system. I think the little flimsy tripods like the Bogen 190 are too light duty for a rifle rest. With a good tripod, the 701 head and setting it up low- prone height- I can feel as steady as a prone Harris bi-pod but can pan so much easier.

It is amazing how much of the recoil it takes out too!

Hey Dennis what kind of steel is that GONG made from???

I just got a 10 inch diameter, 3/8" AR500 steel gong. I'm having a frame welded up for it right now. Just wondering how well it will hold up for the 300 RUM? I don't plan on shooting it any closer than about 500 yards.

Tim,

You shouldn't have any problems with the 300 RUM and the AR500 steel.....ESPECIALLY at 500+ yards.

Tim, mine is just 1018 CR steel. It won't stand up to a 300 at close range but will last quite a while at 500. Bill at Prescott Welding is supposed to call me back tomorrow with a price on AR plate- it is far better for standing up to bullets but is almost impossible to weld.

I just welded rebar to the side of mine and I can hang it on a barb wire fence about anywhere I go. The smaller one I have is 9 1/4" round. A 223 at 130 yds is a lot harder on it than a 6.5-06@ 500!

I spent all day fabricating stuff today. Bill has a new 50 ton break and can handle up to 1/4" steel. I made a bear box for one of my trail cams and fixed my gong set up. Going out tomorrow for the weekend.

Dennis

My AR500 plate has holes in it to attach it to a chain so it doesn't need to be welded. I just dropped it off at my buddys place yesterday. He's going to weld up a frame from angle iron to hang it from. I can't wait to see how it works.

You can buy the plates pre-cut off ebay. They have different sizes, and even AR550 and AR600 steel.

I guess if you can get them to ship it to you in flat rate postal boxes it wouldn't be too bad. I had a guy ship me some cast iron slugs that weighed 60# and it cost $12 from Chicago.

I am just thinking that they can stick this on their normal order and it won't be as pricey as you think. He didn't get back to me with a price today. I will be setting cameras this weekend.

Dennis